Windows 10 will not run on this PC .... Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MartinK3, Jul 29, 2015.

1. BrettS3

BrettS3 Bit poster

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  2. BrettS3

BrettS3 Bit poster

Thanks for the response, @Maria@Parallels. I have 94.7 GB free on the C: drive.

3. MikeK2

MikeK2 Bit poster

I'm getting an error that just says "Something Happened" and I can't continue. Any ideas?

4. @MikeK2 we've escalate this case to our Development Team and they are currently working on the resolution.

Once we receive any updates or workaround we will inform you about it.

5. MikeK2

MikeK2 Bit poster

Great, thank you!

6. jebworks

jebworks Member

As I received this Parallels Display error using the Windows Upgrade app, I tried the version recommended in the Parallels KB downloading the file directly from the upgrade site from within the VM and using IE.

Tried that twice and each time I got this error message:

Posted it on another thread but haven't gotten any response from Parallels so I'm posting it here too.

Using latest version of Parallels 10 and allocated 2GB to the VM fro Windows 7 Home on my MacBook Pro

Win 10 Install Error.png

7. mludviksen

mludviksen Bit poster

I got the same error message...
    Parallels Picture.png
    Did you have any luck getting past it?

8. yongzioushan

yongzioushan Bit poster

Yep - I am getting the same error as MikeK2 as well. Looking forward to the fix!

9. RichardS5

RichardS5 Bit poster

I was getting the exact same error message. Even though the hard drive was suppose to expand I went into Configuration (right click on VM while shut down) and increased the size of hard drive. I started over and Windows 10 installed without a hiccup.

10. MarkH

MarkH Junior Member

One thing that bothers me about the KB is that it says you must have Parallels 10 to run Windows 10, which is nonsense. Windows 10 will work perfectly well on Parallels 9, I have it running with no issues.

11. Guys, we're working on the resolution, but also the same issue appears on the real PC..So in this case it'll take sometime to find the root cause of the issue.
    Thanks for your cooperation.

Sealoozie likes this.
  12. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

@Maria@Parallels Thanks for all your attention to this forum, Maria. Patience IS a virtue and I, for one, appreciate anything you can do to solve this one. Win 10 really looks good and all the hassle should be worth it.

13. BrandonE1

BrandonE1 Bit poster

I started out much like others here, discovered I needed the MediaCreationToolx64.exe file, and followed the KB. I started the update just fine, but about 3% in, I had to cancel out of it (my Internet went down). (I think, eventually, I had to force-quit the app via TaskManager, don't really remember). When I tried to start it again I got the "Setup couldn't start properly." error.

After finding this thread, I tried all the things mentioned here. Eventually, after a few restarts, it started updating again.

Then I got to a point where the Win10 updater wanted an additional 10 GB of space. I tried to cancel out of the updater, but again, it failed, so I had to force-restart this time (couldn't even get to Task Manager).

After resizing my VM (from 64GB to 80GB) I fired it back up and tried to start the process again. All failures.

I got the "Something Happened" error once, but mostly I just get the "Setup couldn't start properly." error. I've restarted 10 times, and I get the problem each time.

Is my VM hosed? I've run Disk Cleanup multiple times, hoping it would get rid of any temp files that might be causing this problem, all to no avail. Help!

14. BrandonE1

BrandonE1 Bit poster