Windows 11 Activation key does not work

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RH4, Feb 25, 2023.

1. RH4

RH4 Bit poster

I just purchased a new iMac and installed latest Parallels version. I also bought Windows 11 Home and the new activation key does not work. It appears that Parallels may want the Windows Pro version when I run Settings > System > Activation.

When I run Settings > System > About it shows that Windows 11 Pro is installed.

At this point I can't activate my my Windows 11 Home with the product key MS gave me. Thoughts?

2. RH4

RH4 Bit poster

I just discovered that Windows 11 Home cannot be activated with a product key on Parallels 18. You must use Windows 11 Pro.
    Furthermore, the Parallels portal does not allow purchase of Windows 11 Pro outside of the US. You must purchase Windows 11 Pro from Microsoft directly. Btw .... MS gave me a full refund on the Windows 11 home version that I purchased.... it all turned out ok but used a lot of my time to discover this. Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

3. SteveWy

SteveWy

Thank you; you've just saved me a lot of hassle. This is a shame really as the Windows 11 Home version is fine for my needs. I am also thinking that this constraint also extends to forcing you to actually buy it from Microsoft. Two previously purchased Windows 11 Pro licences that have been used and activated and are no longer needed, now no longer activate under Parallels 18. Same when installing the Insider version of Windows 11 Pro instead of the linked ISO in Parallels. Looks like my wallet is about to be 200 lighter.