Windows 11 ARM cursor disappears

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PeterC10, Feb 13, 2022.

1. PeterC10

PeterC10 Bit poster

Windos 11 ARM has worked great under parallels on an M1 mac, but I did a windows 11 ARM upgrade the other day and now the cursor disappears under windows as soon as I click.
    When in window mode (ie not full screen), when I click in the window it says "Ctrl + Alt to free cursor".
    I'm running the most recent version of Parallels.
    I've tried reinstalling Parallels tools (several times).
    I've tried Mouse: "don't optimize for games" in the configuration options.
    I've tried adding devices.usb.mouse=0 to boot flags.
    Any idea how I can fix this? Thanks.

2. PeterC10

PeterC10 Bit poster

I got an email from parallels support telling me to reinstall parallels tools..... I've done that several times (see above) - it doesn't fix it. Thanks.

3. EmilyS9

EmilyS9 Bit poster

I am having a similar issue - I only downloaded a few days ago and it worked fine at first. Then downloaded steam and a game, now when I click anywhere in parallels the cursor disappears. It reappears when I hit Ctrl + Alt, but disappears again immediately as I click.

4. PeterC10

PeterC10 Bit poster

Actually - this started happening after I installed steam on windows 11 ARM in parallels.
    I have ended up deleteing my windows 11 install and reinstalling, which was a pain - it's working fine so far.

5. MichaelT52

MichaelT52 Bit poster

6. PaulaT1

PaulaT1 Bit poster

I'm having exactly the same issue. I want to delete Steam just in case that's causing the issue. Is there a way of doing that from Mac? Or in windows without a mouse?
    I did change some settings in Steam for my XBox controller. I'm thinking that might have caused the issue?

7. PaulaT1

PaulaT1 Bit poster

8. PaulaT1

PaulaT1 Bit poster

SOLVED!
    This solved it for me. Here is a copy of the email:
    The situation with which you are faced is most likely related to conflicts with the Steam service.

To try to resolve the issue, please perform the following steps:

0. Run the Virtual Machine.
    1. Click Reset 3 times in a row (Actions > Reset) to get into the Windows Recovery menu.
    2. Select Troubleshoot.
    3. Click Refresh your PC without affecting your files, tap, or click Get started.
    4. Follow the instructions on the screen.

It will reinstall Windows and keep your personnel files and settings. Refresh also keeps the apps that came with your PC and the apps you installed from the Microsoft Store. However, third-party applications and settings will be removed.

These steps should help you to restore the access to mouse.

9. GeorgeJ3

GeorgeJ3 Bit poster

This worked! Nice one. However, I needed to reinstall Parallels Toold to get things working again. Thank you!