Windows 11 Pro Can't Network

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Frederic Puhan, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Frederic Puhan

Frederic Puhan Member

I just purchased a new MacBook Air M2 with 24GB RAM so I could run a Windows program, and installed the Windows Pro offered through Parallels. The installation went smoothly, but now I can't connect the VM to the Internet, no matter what settings I use.

I have a Microsoft Windows 11 Preview edition running on an M1 MacBook and it connects using the default shared network setting and required no additional tweaks. But none of the same settings work on the M2, and even switching to manual mode (preferred, since I'd like to be able to connect to machines in my network as well as the Internet, but first things first...

Change settings, reboot, change settings, reboot, change settings, reboot. The Windows client simply refuses to connect. Known problem, or something awry with the M2 compatibility?

2. Frederic Puhan

Frederic Puhan Member

UPDATE: Changing the host adapter to Wi-Fi seemed to solve the problem. None of my Macs are tethered to Ethernet, but my other machines seem bound to a virtual Ethernet connection. I just made this change, so I won't know if there's a performance difference or not (I suspect not because the host is using Wi-Fi). Still, this seems a bit odd, since both Macs (literally sitting next to each other) are both running PDM 18.1.0 and macOS Ventura. Hmmm.