Windows 11 support check failing on latest Parallels 17.0.1

Downloaded and tried to install and got this: I thought these things should be supported on the latest Parallels?
upload_2021-10-5_11-12-35.png
 

Attachments

  • upload_2021-10-5_11-12-25.png
    upload_2021-10-5_11-12-25.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 12
Didn't realise you had to add the TPM module manually - have done that and installation now seems to be proceeding further.
 
I got passed the TPM and Secure Boot issue but it is telling me that my CPU isn't currently supported. Any ideas?

Screenshot 2021-10-05 at 19.21.26.png
 
The solution is that Microsoft gets their head out of their ***. They are picking and choosing which processors they deem acceptable and are disregarding a good many that should be more than technically capable in order to sell more newer PCs.
 
I found the Parallels KB article about installing TPM and manually installed with no problem. However, like others, Windows 11 does not support my intel i7-7700k CPU at 4.20GHZ. That was the only thing that it failed my iMac for. Everything else was passed. Any solution from Parallels?
 

Attachments

  • Windows 11.jpg
    Windows 11.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 20
Hi,
had the same error with i7-6700HQ CPU. I solved using the ISO and proceeding with a clean install.
However I'm wondering if, as we can read, I will get the updates from Windows or not.
 
My '18 MacBook Air has the Core i5 (I5-8210Y), which is on the list. Hopefully the parallels team will figure this out.
 
Yes, that's the only error. I created the ISO with Rufus, I'll see if using the media creation tool makes a difference and report back. Then I'll try a clean install.
 
If it helps, I saw something on the MS Win11 forum where there might be a disconnect between the Microsoft web site how the PC Health app as well as the install/upgrade procedures determine if the processor fit for Win11 installation. This includes processors listed on the site and people still failing the PC Health app, etc.

So, I still think this is Microsoft engineers shooting the execs in the foot. You know who will win that battle. I can see where eventually Microsoft will have to eliminate this silly processor requirement because it causes way more problems for them than having to deal with actual problems with subpar processors in the long term.

Bottom line: It was really a stupid idea that couldn't ever be executed properly in the first place and I see people getting sacked for it.
 
Hello!
Thank you a lot for reporting it.
We're investigating the issue with our Engineering Team.
The error message in question shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to Windows 11. So, we advise you to add a TPM chip and proceed with the upgrade.
However, please be advised that according to Microsoft, the "upgrade rollout plan is being finalized and is scheduled to begin late in 2021 and continue into 2022. Specific timing will vary by device". So, if the update isn't presented upon clicking Windows Update Settings > Check for updates you can just create a new Windows 11 virtual machine as described in KB 125375.
 
Glad to report that I'm up and running.
Here's what I did (basically I followed directions):
1- download and run the media creation tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11
2- select option to Create installation media for another PC;
3- select option to Save an ISO file to your PC
4- once ISO downloaded, just drag it to an ntfs formatted flash drive
I used nirsoft ProduKey to get the windows 10 product key from my Parallels win10 VM
5- Because I have an intel processor, I followed these instructions: https://kb.parallels.com/en/128449
6- don't skip the customize settings step to install TPM
7- it didn't take very long (<30 hour)
8- I still need to reinstall my windows programs in the new VM, but at least Win 11 is working in Parallels now. My documents and files are stored in one drive so I can delete the win 10 VM once I've run the new VM for a couple of days.
For what it's worth, here's what I did yesterday and earlier today, both of which generated the unsupported processor error even though my processor is on the list:
I used the option to "Download Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO)". Note, this IOS image was larger than the ISO downloaded using the media creation tool.
I Used Rufus to create a book disk and installer.
Plugged the flash drive in my Mac, mounted it in parallels, Ran setup.exe from within the win10 VM.
When that failed, I tried to create a new win11 VM using the direct download ISO image (vs the media creation version), which also failed due to the processor message.
Note that "check for updates" in win10 only showed a message to get ready for windows 11 or similar, it never showed an available update to win10.
YMMV, good luck, Mark
 
Back
Top