Windows 7 64 Bit SP1 even possible?

Kevinj-s

Bit poster
Brand new MacBook Pro running Lion (literally 1 week old), bought Parallels from Apple Store as they recommended it for a couple 64 bit apps I have. Windows Version I have license for is 64Bit with SP1 already on it. Parallels is brand new and updated from site to latest rev 6.0.12094.
I am brand new to both Mac world as well as virtualization, so easy steps or just No. I got enough to do just getting used to Mac O/S.

I did take my retail disk from my dead laptop and it installed just fine. 32Bit Windows 7 Ultimate (no SP). Did this just to see if it was my disk that was causing the issue. I have found many threads about 64bit and Win 7, but nothing on Service Pack 1.

Actual error is while installing the O/S it just says "unknown I/O error" and stops.

Support has been no help, they wanted me to try a different disk, I did. They sent me directions on how to make a disk, I did.

So just want to know if it can be done.
 
Try burning a Windows7 sp1.iso
mount it
link virtual Desktop 6 or 7 to that.

I found for some reason on my McPro early 2009 that it would not accept a DVD to install but the very same downloaded SP1 Windows 7 made into an .ISO was just fine.
 
Maybe I am missing something

Perhaps it is terminology, or my just lack of what a Mac needs so let me know what I am doing wrong.

Have the .IMG file (Win 7 64bit SP1) and burned a CD which errors out with the I/O error.
Tried again with different CD, same I/O error.
Tried a Fresh download of the software and burned CD, same I/O error
Put entire .IMG on MacBook Pro, changed the extension to .ISO and tried installing with that, same I/O error
Tried changing the settings for RAM to 2 and 3 GB, but same I/O error.

So when you say Mount the ISO, do I need to do something different???

(PS: I took the CD to a PC desktop and it loaded without a hitch. Just the MacBook won't install)

Any other ideas?? Really don't want to pay for a support call for a week old product that I can't get to work.
 
Put entire .IMG on MacBook Pro, changed the extension to .ISO and tried installing with that, same I/O errorQUOTE]

Perhaps what you are doing wrong is believing that changing the extension to .iso changes the file. You would have to rencode the file to ISO , either burn the dvd as ISO directly or you can AnytoISO(available both on windows and mac) to "convert" your img to iso . I think this might help.
 
It is running now, Support connected to my computer and helped to install it. We downloaded another ISO of the 64 Bit Windows and they changed a few of the settings. Bingo. It installed flawlessly.

Wish I was more help, but they had to do it.

thanks for the reply.
 
For the record, I can confirm that 64 bit Win 7 SP1 installed via BootCamp and then transitioned to Parallels 7 works flawlessly. I'm also a Mac newbie and I'm very impressed with Parallels so far.
 
Windows 7 64 Bit SP1 even possible

Hello,

I have tried installing Win7 SP1 64 bit but in vain. I have disabled security programs, downloaded and installed System Readiness Tool for Win7 64bit, and also updated the device drivers. But I still cannot install SP1.
help.gif
 
Win 7 64bit sp1 install possible.If your drive space enough or create a new drive and win 7 64bit install.
 
Back
Top