Windows 7 beta (7000) and Windows Live Messenger beta (14.0.8050.1202)

wirwzd

Bit poster
After installing all the Windows Essentials beta programs in Windows 7,
Windows would lock up shortly after reboot.

Disabling Windows Live Messenger from starting while in safe mode using
msconfig prevented the hang the hang next time booting into full mode.

Windowed or fullscreen mode made no difference.

Disabling 3D acceleration by un-checking the box under:

Virtual Machine->Configuration->Video->"Enable 3D acceleration"

allowed booting with Live Messenger enabled.

My config:
OS X 10.5.6
Parallels 4.0.3810
Windows 7 beta 1 (Windows version 6.1 Build 7000)
Windows Live Messenger beta version 4.0.8050.1202

Hardware:

Model Name: MacBook Pro (17")
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
SMC Version: 1.18f2
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

GeForce 8600M GT:
Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0407
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3175
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:
Status: No display connected
 
Windows 7 support is experimental, and Windows Live Essentials is Beta,
Windows Live Essentials will be available as separate pack for Windows 7, but under development,
Please wait release version
 
I have the identical issue, but I'm using the full released Windows Livew installer. I'm not aware that this is a Beta.

One other place where this issue is raised is here:
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/13/65163-windows-7-beta-parallels-4-windows-freezing.html#post727105

All other aspects of Windows 7 work well for me. I had the lack of sound drivers initially, but after a reinstall and installation of Parallels Tools that problem vanished.

I can now revert to a snapshot I took immediately prior to installing Windows Live after such freezes following Windows live installation.

I will try booting in safe mode and using msconfig too but seems it isn't a solution from the OP.

I would love to be able to use Windows Live Messenger on this OS

My config:
OS X 10.5.6
Parallels 4.0.3810
Windows 7 beta 1 (Windows version 6.1 Build 7000)

Anyone with a solution please advise
 
W/L installer version 14.0.8050.1202

Hi there,

This is the installer version as per the properties window. I got to the download page via a gogle search and found this page: http://download.live.com/default.aspx?sku=messenger&wa=wsignin1.0.

I have workerd around the issue by installing the earlier version of Messenger (8.5), which seems fine. All the same I'm keen to understand the problem with the latest W/L version. Am I wrong about this no longer being a Beta?
 
Further update.

I deactivated adaptive hypervisor and turned 3D Acceleration off, and switched to single processor core operation.

I then went to install only Windows Live Mail, but the installer showed that Messenger would get updated in the process with no option to deny this.

I went ahead anyway, thinking I would probably have to disable messenger or revert to the previous snapshot. To my surprise all worked well, and I'm now using Windows Live Messenger with no problems.

I don't know if doing it via upgrading version 8.5 was the trick, or if some of the VM configuration changes I have described above had a bearing on the change.
 
Back
Top