Windows 7 Does not recognize my Mac CD Drive

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by gomissed, Mar 27, 2010.

1. gomissed

gomissed Bit poster

I am trying to Rip some DVD's via DVDfab decrypter on my guest OS Windows 7...

The windows 7 guest OS does not recognize my Disk Drive in order to do this. I have tried selecting the actual name of the drive, as well as selecting the "default cd/dvd" option.

Has anyone had this or heard of this. Is there an option that I can select for it to recognize it?

Thank you in advance,
    Jason

2. I-che

I-che Pro

Hi Jason,
    please open virtual machine's configuration (when virtual machine is stopped) and do the following:
    1. On Hardware tab, select CD/DVD 1 option
    2. Press [-] to remove, press OK
    3. Open Configuration > Hardware tab again
    4. Press [+] and add CD/DVD drive, make sure it has Connected status
    5. Load Windows and check if the optical media is detected in VM

3. S.A. Bertram

S.A. Bertram Bit poster

Still Don't See DVD/CD Rom Drive

I have done the above where you add and remove the CD/DVD 1 drive in the Hardware tab (ran Windows 7 without it, Shut Down, then reconnected it, and booted Windows 7 again) and it still didn't work. The Parallels tools Iso Image is connected and even the Icon at the bottom of the window says its connected, but still no luck. I read somewhere about deleting CD ROM registries, but I got lost and couldn't do it.

I am fairly competent with Computers, so as long as the instructions are clear, I can follow them. Any help would be much appreciated as I'm about to blow a few gaskets with this. In any case Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Attached Files:

4. S.A. Bertram

S.A. Bertram Bit poster

I still have the issue so I'm asking for help or be directed to help, please. Thank you.

5. VagelisB

VagelisB Bit poster

Same here

I have the same problem ... very disappointed ...

6. Printfun

Printfun Member

What version of Parallels are you using?

7. DaveSki

DaveSki Bit poster

I'm having this same problem. Everything was fine until I upgraded to Lion. Since then I get the messages above. Please help.

8. ForrestJ

ForrestJ Bit poster

Worked for me

Thanks. Deleting and adding back the CD/DVD drive in Configure got things going for me. Once I booted into the Win7 VM, it took a bit to add the SATA driver and then all was fine.

Not sure why this happened since it was working fine until I upgraded to Parallels 7. Win7 and the drive worked fine under Lion in Parallels 6. Regardless, it works now and I no longer get the warning message when I open the VM that a driver is missing for the CD/DVD drive.

9. ImranA

ImranA Bit poster

Sadly, I am having this 2010 problem in December 2011. I cannot even Delete the setting as the [-] sign is greyed out (the settings panel is unlocked).

Update: I quit the app, and restarted, and then it did allow me to delete and add back the CD/DVD and it seems to work now.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  10. YanaYana

YanaYana

Bertram,

You don't have Parallels Tools installed as i can see from screenshots - they should be installed.
    GO to Virtual Machine menu > Install Parallels Tools.
    If it doesn't work - open CD rom in your Windows Machine (disk D i suppose) and find Install file- double click it and installation of Parallels tools should start.

after Tools have been installed please check your issue with CD rom - it should be solved.

11. Eban64

Eban64 Bit poster

Nothing helps

I have the same problem. Windows 7 on MacOS 10.7.3 / 27" iMac with Parallels 7 for Mac. But i cannot use my DVD/CD.

1. I tried the trick with change from SATA to IDE.
    2. I deleted the DVD in the VM and reinstall after restart.
    3. And finally i installed the Parallels Tools once again.

Nothing worked. Any new tips?!

Thx in advance. Eban

12. YanaYana

YanaYana

13. DanielI

DanielI Bit poster

Having this issue in my Windows 7 VM on macbook pro

I have tried removing the CD/DVD 1 and reading it also uninstalling it from the guest OS and rebooting it. None of the mentioned methods work. Pretty disappointed a solution wasn't posted for this. Really thinking about moving to vmware.

14. DanielI

DanielI Bit poster

Got mine to work

Ok So in my situation it was actually the registry in windows 7 none of the previous solutions mentioned worked but this did:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

You have to edit the registry and delete the upper filter from it and restart. Worked like a charm. Sticking with parallels :)

15. YanaYana

YanaYana

Daniel, thank you for sharing the solution