Windows 7 Pro locks up after Parallels v14 "upgrade"

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BrianM14, Aug 28, 2018.

1. BrianM14

BrianM14 Bit poster

I upgraded from Parallels v13.xx (whatever the latest version was) to Parallels v14 this morning. BIG MISTAKE.
    I use Windows 7 Pro all the time for application code maintenance of several projects. After the upgrade, Windows 7 keeps locking up whenever I type a few characters on the keyboard. I mean a complete and total freeze. It will not respond to Parallels shutdown or anything else, and requires a "reset" from the Parallels menu.
    I have a lot of work to do and I am effectively completely shut down. Out of business. This reminds me of the VMWare foistware crap I used to have to put up with every time they released an update.
    Does anyone know how to roll back from v14 to v13? I have zero interest in v14 anymore, I just need my machine to work.

2. DavidY1

DavidY1 Bit poster

I also would like to roll back. I use Windows 10 for work, and it's hard to estimate how much money I lose for myself and my company when I'm down for hours on end trying to figure out work arounds for bugs. After updating Parallels, I can't switch to coherence mode. If I restart Windows with the option to start in Coherence mode enabled, it does so, but if I try to fix any other issue it snaps out of coherence and is unable to switch back.
    Another issue is my mouse pointers don't work right. Sizing for external monitor in Windows is messed up. And more. I don't have time for this. I may have to resort to trying to find an adequate restore point from Time Machine, that will take me back Parallels version and all. I hate to do it that way as that also takes a lot of time and results aren't know until you try it.

3. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @BrianM14 , please use the follow the steps suggested in the article and check if that works.

4. WallyR1

WallyR1 Bit poster

Hi I am completely locked out of Windows XP and I get a repeat all the time of the Windows Safe mode screen

Attached Files:

5. BharatS2

BharatS2 Bit poster

I "upgraded" from v12 to v14 and I have the same lock up issues. The host OS is Mohave running on a very recent 16GB, 2.9ghz quad core macbook pro. Host resources are not an issue. Playing with various settings back and forth, I found that I can replicate the issue at will as soon as I startup any browser (IE, Edge or Chrome), even on a barebones debloated Win 10 install (32-bit 2GB RAM, 2 cpu).

Looking to go back to 12 from 14.

6. KebhaK@Parallels

KebhaK@Parallels Hunter

Hi @BharatS2 , Please increase your virtual machine's RAM, make sure Parallels Desktop 14 is up to date and also if you have anti-virus or back up process running at the back ground of virtual machine disable it and check the issue.