Windows 7 Slow To Wake Network Connection

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by MDSilverado, Nov 25, 2011.

1. MDSilverado

MDSilverado Bit poster

Hello All. I have Windows 7(Bootcamp) running as a guest on OSX Lion. Lately when I open my MBP after being closed Windows is slow to reconnect to my network. Right now in Config-Network I have pull down box set to WiFi. I had it set Shared Network previously but in that setting I could not see the other Windows computers on my home network.

Do I have my network settings set correctly on Parallels? Is there anything I can do to get Windows to reconnect immediately to the network? The delay is very annoying and it did not used to be this way when I first installed Parallels.

2. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

How long does it takes?
    Please send a problem report using menu of Parallels Desktop Help -> Report a problem and post here its ID (no need to reproduce or provide description)

Yes, the settings are correct. You cannot see other windows computers because in Shared Networking parallels acts like firewall between network and Virtual Machine. Though you can connect to them by their names. You can try Bridged Networking, but it doesn't work in most of the networking environments because of configuration of switches/routers.

3. MDSilverado

MDSilverado Bit poster

Report ID 11346457

Thanks.

4. MDSilverado

MDSilverado Bit poster

Oh yeah...it takes 5 - 10 seconds to restore the network connection after waking.

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Well, the situation is next:
    Just after Mac wakes up, it takes about 2-3 secongs to wakeup hardware. Then about 2-3 seconds to establish connection to AirPort.

Then, when you are using bridged networking, there is really some delay from Parallels side to wakeup networking. And we really could improve our product and eliminate this (times to wakeup hardware and connect WiFi cannot be improved). Btw, shared networking doesn't have it, so if you need 5 seconds faster networking startup in VM, you could use Shared Networking.

Thank you for the report (although I cann't guarantee any milestone when this behaviour will be changed).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011