Windows 7 to 10 upgrade fails

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Ray Dosh, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Ray Dosh

Ray Dosh Member

After the installation restores Windows 7, I'm given the following error message: "0x1900101 - 0x30018 The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during the SYSPREP operation." The error at the point of installation failure says something like, "Windows could not configure one or more system components."
    I have tried several things that my research has suggested:
    1) Ran Windows Update Troubleshooter as administrator
    2) Ran Windows Update several times until none were found
    3) From the Command Prompt (as administrator, I believe) command "SFC /Scannow"
    4) Attempted to run (as administrator) the Command Prompt "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth." The system responded with something like, "Not valid in context."

I'm at a loss now as to how to proceed and achieve a successful upgrade to Windows 10.
    VM is configured with 8GB of RAM and 4 processors. Hard drive has 33.7 GB free.

2. Hi Ray Dosh. Please follow the steps given in this Microsoft article to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

3. Ray Dosh

Ray Dosh Member

At first, that didn't appear to offer any solution. The key was searching for the error code. Microsoft Security Essentials (which needs to be uninstalled because it is incompatible with Windows 10) real-time protection was the problem.
    Thanks.