Windows 7 virtual machine on Mac SSD. Defrag, or not?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by WheatW, Jul 16, 2012.

1. WheatW

WheatW Junior Member

I'm running Parallels and a Windows 7 virtual machine on a MacBook Pro with an SSD (solid-state hard drive, the kind that doesn't have spinning platters).

Should I disable Windows 7's automatic scheduled disk defragmentation in the virtual machine, since I've read that defragmentation is counterproductive on SSDs, being something designed only for spinning hard drives? I know I'm running Windows 7 in a virtual machine on a computer with an SSD, but I worry that my Windows 7 installation through Parallels does not sense that and does not configure itself accordingly.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  2. YanaYana

YanaYana

Virtual machine is running on the virtual hard drive. (Unless it is Boot Camp) - defray should work fine and should not affect the SSD drive anyhow.

3. DarinT

DarinT Bit poster

Virtual Defrag?

Why do I need to defrag a virtual hard-drive in Parrells Windows 7 pro on my iMac Lion. Would defraging occur on the actual hard drive hosting it on the Mac?
    Should one do a disk clean up and defrag at all in Windows if its Virtual on the Mac ??? this is so unclear to me.

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

You can do defrag on Vitrtual Disk and it would not affect the Mac Hard Drive at all.

5. ruirego

ruirego Bit poster

ok, it will not after my Mac Drive, but does it improve my virtual Windows?

RuiR

6. YanaYana

YanaYana

you are supposed to do it only on virtual machine and it improves your virtual machine performance