Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RandyBr, Feb 29, 2012.

1. RandyBr

RandyBr Bit poster

Has anyone been able to get today's (2/29) new Win8 CP working? I was able to install it from the 64bit ISO image on my MBA running Lion. However, I can't get trackpad/mouse functioning. I tried changing the SmartMouse setting in Config Advanced settings, but to no avail. I also need to change screen resolution, but without mouse it is hard to access control panel.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Have you installed Parallels Tools?

3. LordDragon

LordDragon Bit poster

same thing here

I had the same experience. mac osx 10.7.3. latest parallels 7. and was testing out windows 7 consumer preview. the mouse worked until i installed the parallels tools, then i couldnt click or use the mouse in any way. i was hoping the windows 8 developers preview support would extend to this consumer version. maybe theres a patch or work around?

4. diwa

diwa Member

I tried today with the latest PD 7 build runing under OS X 10.6.8 and the Windows 8 CP.

Same problem: No mouse at the windows-vm.
    Not before and not after installing parallels tools...

I had no problmes with the earlier Windows 8 developper version.

Ciao

dirk

5. Legoless

Legoless Bit poster

I can confirm this issue is with the latest Parallels tools. ;)

Waiting for a fix.

6. RandyBr

RandyBr Bit poster

I was finally able to get mouse working by turning off the SmartMouse setting. You may need to suspend/restart. It's not perfect, but seems to work.

7. RandyBr

RandyBr Bit poster

BTW, I also reinstalled the Parallel Tools -- if that helps.

8. LordDragon

LordDragon Bit poster

turning off smartmouse

turning off smartmouse does allow the mouse to function, sort of... but the mouse pointer tracking and acceleration is awful and difficult to use in that mode. i guess ill wait and hope for a patch or parallel tools update or something

9. DjHack1639

DjHack1639 Bit poster

same issue here. Disabling smart mouse worked.

10. DennyA

DennyA Bit poster

Yep, Parallels Tools disables the mouse. Good to know about Smart Mouse, I'll try turning that off.

Also, you definitely want to do the manual setup of Windows, or Parallels will create an Administrator account that doesn't let you actually use your VM.

11. DjHack1639

DjHack1639 Bit poster

Denny - how do you get Parallels to let you do a manual install? It ran through everything for me without me doing anything.

12. EmanuelM

EmanuelM Bit poster

On the screen that asks for the CD key there is a checkbox at the very top above the image that is checked that says Express Install. Uncheck it. I didn't see it the first time I installed either.

13. DjHack1639

DjHack1639 Bit poster

Thanks Emanuel. I also found that baring a custom install, you can add a user based on any active Windows Live account.

Also, I found that after running Windows Update my mouse still worked, but the cursor disappeared. Attempting to reinstall the Parallels tools from an account other than the default administrator account was wonky as well - I never saw the installer progress box.

14. CyrilR

CyrilR Bit poster

Disabling Smart Mouse did the trick for me too.
    Please note that if you use the mouse, pointing to the bottom right (so far) of the screen, you will get the option to launch the Settings menu and from there can add a user based on a Live account.

15. MrBungleBear

MrBungleBear Bit poster

Yep - this works for me too, although you have to click to capture and ctrl-alt to release, and none of the gestures work (using the magic trackpad thingy).

G>

16. MrBungleBear

MrBungleBear Bit poster

Multiple monitors

Hi.

Since this seems to be the only windows 8 consumer preview thread I can find, I have a non-mouse related issue I'd like some thoughts on.

XP, Win7 etc all work fine with my two monitors, usually using them as one big display. In Win8, however, I can't seem to get the second monitor recognised. If it does, it will only talk to it as VGA, gets the size wrong, and nothing displays on it anyway...

Win8 issue? Or Parallels issue? (I am on the latest OS X and latest // and //tools.) Has anyone seen this and has anyone solved it?

G>

17. CMH@HeartPlace

CMH@HeartPlace Bit poster

DjHack1639 - I stumbled on this... My mouse cursor disappeared after I got it working. I had performed the capture and ctrl-alt and then recaptured. The mouse is still around though. I used my keyboard to get to the desktop, then right clicked, then reset my screen resolution. Suddenly the mouse cursor was back. I haven't lost it since.

I have observed, however, that the Device list still shows there being a driver error for the mouse. Perhaps the fine folks here at Parallels are working on a fix already.

18. MrBungleBear

MrBungleBear Bit poster

Never mind - I changed the video memory from the small default to a larger number and it iWork's fine now.
    G>

19. tgoecke

tgoecke Bit poster

Win 8 consumer preview / non admin account

hello,
    thanks for the hint regarding disabling smart mouse.
    applying this setting i can use the mouse within the administrator account.
    but once I create a non admin account, the mouse pointer within this account is not visible.
    any idea?

20. Ensoniq

Ensoniq Bit poster

Same issue here with the mouse. Looking forward to a resolution.