Windows 8 guest problems: can't hide, can't gesture, extra strokes

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LindaC, Nov 4, 2012.

1. LindaC

LindaC Bit poster

Hi, all. I have Parallels Desktop for Mac, version 8.0.18314, installed. I check, and as of right now there is nothing newer than that.

I have a few problems:

When I use Metro* apps, I often get extra keystrokes or gestures. For instance, in Internet Explorer 10 in the Metro interface, the charm bar will open in the middle of typing a URL into the app bar, for no apparent reason.

Also, in my Windows 7 VM, I can hit command-H and hide Parallels entirely, sending it to the Mac dock. I have my VMs configured to run Parallels in full screen mode (the old full screen mode, not the one for Mac OS X full screen mode because I get annoyed when the mouse moves to the top of the screen and the Mac menu bar appears). This does not happen when running the Windows 8 VM. Typing command-H does nothing. I've checked my Parallels application shortcuts. Command-H and option-command-H are both disabled.

Lastly, gestures aren't working right. For instance, in Internet Explorer 10 in the Metro interface, I move the mouse to the top center of the screen, so the cursor shows as a hand. I then swipe down, and the app bar does not open as it should.

Some background:

I'm on a Macbook Pro 15" with Retina Display. I have re-installed Parallels Tools.

Thanks in advice for any help.

---

*I know Microsoft doesn't use Metro any more to describe the new Windows 8 start bar, app store, and app user interface, but it's the easiest way to describe these things. They're not happening in Windows 7 and not as much of a problem in Windows 8 when using the classic interface to Internet Explorer.

2. LindaC

LindaC Bit poster

I should also mention that I had some typing problems (Outlook saying it couldn't process the reconversion and similar things) in my Windows 7 VM before upgrading to the latest Parallels version, but those problems went away with the latest version. So the gesture and typing problems in Windows 8 seem to be acting differently.

3. LindaC

LindaC Bit poster

Bump. Still having this problem.

I've reinstalled Parallels Tools yet again.

==> Phantom keystrokes or gestures occurring

==> Swiping down from top of a Metro app doesn't open app bar

==> Hitting fn-alt-right arrow doesn't go HOME in Internet Explorer Metro app

==> In the Metro home screen (start screen), fn-alt-F4 doesn't quit Windows VM

==> The command-H problem I mentioned above has resolved. It is no longer an issue

All these things work just fine (with the exact same keyboard shortcut settings on the same computer) in my Windows 7 VM

Is anyone else having these issues? Where should I start to resolve? Is this widespread and just a set of bugs at this point that will be ironed out in the coming weeks?

I can live with some development issues on Parallels's end, as they work to optimize and hone compatibility. But if it's my settings or something I'm doing wrong, I'd like to learn how to fix it.

Thanks.

4. moas

moas Junior Member

I'm having the exact same issue. I get the Windows 8 charm bar popping up all the time. This happens in many apps (chrome, outlook 2013, powerpoint 2010, explorer etc.). It is almost at the point where I need to revert back to Window 7. This is incredibly frustrating.

5. LindaC

LindaC Bit poster

Agree! It's a problem.

6. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<