Windows ARM64 - seems to boot up

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by DanO3, Dec 17, 2020.

1. MikeS33

MikeS33 Bit poster

So I had the same black screen of death problem...but using the menu bar I shut the system down, then restarted it and all is good again...I'm in windows, have installed apps and am working.

2. ChrisW38

ChrisW38 Junior Member

Yes Shaun, I have now upgraded to the latest build 21277, still seeing windows native apps not loading (this includes the Microsoft Store), Calendar, Mail, Calculator, Paint 3D, Maps load but no details are displayed. Overall still pleased with the initial progress of the build, looking forward to more updates.

NoBackUp likes this.
  3. dwarfland

dwarfland Bit poster

I had that too, the first time around. would just cycle thru this again and again. I killed and deleted the vm image, started fresh, second time wit worked, and Windows boots up fine (but display doesnt refresh until in resize the window, as reported by me and someone else in two other threads).

4. MarkByrn

MarkByrn Member

I can't get Windows Store or any Windows Store app to open - they immediately crash out. Tried the usual fixes like checking time zone, wsreset.exe, signing in with MS account, activating, and using Powershell to reinstall the Store. Any other ideas?

5. ScottN57

ScottN57 Junior Member

I'm super impressed that running Windows 10 for Arm seems to have 3D acceleration. At least - earth.google.com is buttery smooth.

6. ScottN57

ScottN57 Junior Member

Has anyone been able to get Microsoft Teams installed? I get a JavaScript error occurred in the main Process error, both on the Beta Win 10 arm release and the Developer. I've been able to install it on Win 10 virtualized with UTM.

Attached Files:

7. SimonZ2

SimonZ2 Member

Got exactly the same problem.

8. RonaldM7

RonaldM7 Bit poster

How did you update to 21277. I'm still on 20231 and Windows Update does not update me to 21277, says I'm up to date?

9. RonaldM7

RonaldM7 Bit poster

I just saw how to update to 21277 by changing to Dev channel but everything is working OK so far (just using Quicken for now) with the work around suggested to change Parallels Settings to "do not sync" in Time Settings for Mac

10. CristianV4

CristianV4 Bit poster

i have the same issue. All working great and boots everytime with no problems. can pause the windows and all that. internet works on it on Edge and installed Mozilla as well and no issues but no apps other then Internet and Office want to open....anyone any idea?
    i have installed the Windows 10 Build 20231 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windowsinsiderpreviewARM64

11. CristianV4

CristianV4 Bit poster

i have to mentioned that i selected Beta Channel out of the 3 options . not sure if that makes any difference.
    also i can install apps from internet and can run them such as Steam, GOG (similar to steam) i even downloaded and installed games from Steam and palyed them flawlessly.

Attached Files:

12. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

You won't be able to run x64 Intel apps unless you select dev channel and update to build 21277.

CristianV4 likes this.
  13. LawrenceW1

LawrenceW1 Bit poster

I've got the same issue. Or rather, nothing appears to respond until I resize the window, then whatever I just clicked on pops up. It seems that the screen doesn't refresh properly. With every click I have to resize the window slightly to get it to show what I just did.

14. CristianV4

CristianV4 Bit poster

i have created another partition and changed it to DEV channel but havent tested anything in there yet. Made some more research in Beta Channel and finally made Win Store to work and download certain apps and even after reboot all working good. it had something to do with Auto Updates which is swtiched Off and that worked.

AlexeyY1 likes this.
  15. RadoslavS

RadoslavS Bit poster

Anybody else having problems with the Microsoft App Store on Windows 10 Arm?

ChrisW38 likes this.
  16. onefish2

onefish2 Bit poster

Yes everyone. It does not work. Check other posts here to see what you options are for a workaround.

ChrisW38 and AlexeyY1 like this.
  17. RadoslavS

RadoslavS Bit poster

I just checked but somebody managed to make it work. Some hints needed, please!
    Merry Christmas!

18. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

19. peec35

peec35 Bit poster

It's probably worth remembering that this is a technology preview. It's not even mature enough to be a public beta. Lots of basic functionality not working yet. Also the version of Windows we're using is also and Insider Preview.

I personally didn't expect anything close to a "production ready" experience. I'm amazed it runs at all. Hopefully both Parallels and Microsoft will get some updates out soon, but I'm not expecting to use this as a "daily driver" for some time yet.

RadoslavS and CarlosR29 like this.
  20. ChristopherG12

ChristopherG12 Bit poster

I've noted since the Christmas Eve update, my shared networking no longer stays connected reliably. Running the Windows troubleshooter can sometimes return it to functionality, but the networking will later fail again. Just since the latest update.

ScottN57 and DavidM84 like this.