"Windows cannot access \\Mac\Home\Desktop" and "One or more network protocols are missing on this co

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JohnS16, Dec 14, 2015.

1. JohnS16

JohnS16 Junior Member

I have a Macbook Pro with Parallels and Windows 10 and use Microsoft Office 10. I am using El Capitan as my OS. It has worked without problems for years, but over the weekend I have been unable to use Microsoft Office. I received the message "The file Normal.dotm cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents". I have tried looking for the Normal.dotm file to remove it as per the advice on this forum, but I was not able to locate it through Finder. When trying by going through Windows File Explorer I received the message "Windows cannot access \\Mac\Home\Desktop". Clicking on the diagnostics I was unable to repair the problem, but received the message "One of more network protocols are missing on this computer".

Can anyone help me, please?

2. JimR6

JimR6 Bit poster

I have the same set-up, and am having the same problem. Started this morning. I was using windows and received a notification that windows was doing an update in the backgroud and that my system might run slow as a result. Virtually useless now. Please help. I'm happy to chat with anyone and assist in troubleshooting.

3. JimR6

JimR6 Bit poster

I just called parallels. The recent Windows 10 update deleted all of the drivers. They went under the actions menu, and clicked "Reinstall Parallels Tools" and went through that process. Now it is working again. Hope that helps.

4. JohnS16

JohnS16 Junior Member

Tnanks very much for your help, JimR6. Could you please describe in more detail exactly what you did to Reinstall Parallel Tools?

5. JimR6

JimR6 Bit poster

If you have parallels active, you will click on the "Actions" menu at the top of the active screen. In that menu there is an option to "Reinstall Parallels Tools". You click that option and then follow the prompts. It will run an installer, and then restart the VM and it should work fine from there.

6. JohnS16

JohnS16 Junior Member

OK, JimR6. I have worried away at this for a day and finally have managed to reinstall Parallels Tools. It was not so hard in the end,you just have to know!
    But what the H..l were Windows doing with their update, removing all the drivers?!! Shoddy quality conrol and suoervision.

Thanks a million for having set me on the right path !

7. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi all, refer to this KB article to re-install Parallels Tools.

PeterE1 likes this.
  8. PeterE1

PeterE1 Bit poster

Saved my life.
    I followed the above instructions from Dhruba@Parallels and it fixed everything for most recent Windows 10 update on latest Parallels on Mac

9. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

We are glad your issue is resolved, feel free to reach us any time, we are here to help.

10. techniat

techniat Bit poster

well sometimes updating the windows to the latest version can bring up some changes or config that aren't right like in the case of preview versions of the windows . you should either try restarting your pc or changing some network settings .. you can refer this article for more info : http://errorcodespro.com/fix-one-more-network-protocols-missing-windows-computer/

11. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Hello, thank you so much for sharing this workaround. We are glad to see your active participation and appreciate it.

12. josanm

josanm Bit poster

well sometimes updating the windows to the latest version can bring up some changes or config that aren't right like in the case of preview versions of the windows . you should either try restarting your pc or changing some network settings .. you can refer this article for more info : One or more network protocols are missing on this computer.

13. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi josanm,
    We are appreciate you for sharing this workaround. We are glad to see your active participation and appreciate it.

14. MahendraK2

MahendraK2 Bit poster

You can fix it via Disable IPv6 (Internet Protocol Version 6) Protocol, Just follow me to fix using smc method,
    1. First Open Command prompt so that Press windows +R key
    2. After then type CMD and hit Enter.
    3. You will see command prompt now type "ncpa.cpl" command
    4. Now Go to properties and Ensure "Obtain an IP address automatically"
    5. For more you can read here for more easy steps.
    https://www.howtoseeks.org/one-or-more-network-protocols-are-missing-on-this-computer/
    thanks