windows does not see the airport adapter

azrael2000

Bit poster
Hi all.

I am having a little issue with my Parallels installation, where my Windows XP does not see my wireless adaptor.

I have gone hunting through all the network settings to find how to get it to recognize the wireless, but with no avail.

Does anyone know how to do this? I have a Mac OS Leopard, and the guest system is Windows XP.

Regards!
 
Actually, even though you can't see the wireless adapter from Windows you can still use it. I have a MacBook Pro that I use quite often with with built in airport adapter. Gives me internet connections on both the PC and the Mac sides.
 
I am replying to the last message on my MacBook Pro. Running XP under Parallels 3.0 latest build.

I am connected to a wireless network using the airport utility on the mac.

I am running Parallels with Bridged Networking (but has also worked for me with Shared Networking).

In the Mac Network System Preference pane it shows Airport as connected as well ast the Parallels Guest and Parallels NAT network connections as being active with valid IP addresses.

In XP I go to Show All Connections. I see an entry for Local Area Connection, type LAN or High Speed Internet, status Connected/Firewalled, device name Parallels Network Adapter. I do not see any wireless connection listed.

XP can just connect to this and use it. In the background, your Airport Connection on the Mac side is being routed to this Parallels Network Adapter. For all intents and purposes XP sees it as a wired LAN connection. You don't have to mess with any wireless setup or drivers on the Windows side at all.

So... you can't see a wireless connection on the XP side, but it works fine. Just like I said above.

Jeff

PS. by changing the order of the connections in the Mac Network Pane you can have the connection switch to use your hard wired LAN preferentially and then switch to Airport when you are not plugged in. That way whichever connection you are using on the Mac side will be sent to XP.
 
Hi there.

I have reset the order of my network connections, and I am still having issues with getting the windows xp to acknowledge the wireless.

I get "page cannot be displayed" on windows ie, and other programs, that have to connect to the internet for updates fail.

Any other Ideas folks? and thanks for the help so far.

Regards
 
Hi there.

I have reset the order of my network connections, and I am still having issues with getting the windows xp to acknowledge the wireless.

I get "page cannot be displayed" on windows ie, and other programs, that have to connect to the internet for updates fail.

Any other Ideas folks? and thanks for the help so far.

Regards

the thing to keep in mind is that though your mac is connecting to your network through a wireless connection, windows will see a wired connection.

therefore:
1. in the vm configuration editor (edit -> virtual machine) select the option "Network Adapter 1" from the list and ensure there is a checkbox in "Enabled" and "Connect cable at startup" on the "Network Adapter Options" tab. If you are using "Bridged Ethernet" make sure "Default Adapter" is selected from the drop down list.

2. once windows is started, click on start -> "Connect To" and select "Show all connections." right click on "Local Area Connection" if the first option is "Enable" select it.

see if you can browse the internet.
 
Back
Top