windows file to mac

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jasminp, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jasminp

jasminp Bit poster

Hi, its the second time i wrote this topic because it wont save it for some reason.

So my problem is when i try to copy or drag files from windows 7 to mac theres no way i can open these files on my mac. The files stay ''attached'' to windows and when i try to open them in my mac parallels boot windows 7 and then windows open the file. same for the windows application folder.

Please help!

2. Kathleen R

Kathleen R Member

post not very clear

Since no one has responded I'll try.

1st off it can take a little while for your post to appear so allow it time before re-posting.

Your post isn't very clear. What type of files are you trying to drag or copy to the mac? Do you have an application on the mac side that can read them?

I copied about my whole Dell Documents folder to my Mac after I got it. It was mostly Office files & pdfs so I use iWork & Preview to open them. But if you don't have software on the mac side that can read or open the files, it won't work.

So if you are trying to drag word or excel files over, you will need either MS office or iWork or the free Open Office suite or something else (don't know if there are other options or not) that can read & open the files.

It sounds like you are also trying to drag Windows applications to the mac side. I don't know of any way that would work since any programs that I know are either for Mac or Windows although they may have versions for each, but you do need the mac version installed on the mac side--not a windows program. That's what Parallels is for--to run Windows software. The mac can read many of the files created in Windows if it has the mac software for it.

3. Hnickm

Hnickm Bit poster

Yup. Kathleen R describes things correctly.
    The biggest clue is in the icon as displayed on the Mac.
    If the file is a Windows file for which no available application can open it, the icon will be a gray rectangle with the word "exec" on it.
    Sometimes I copy Windows files to the Mac so I have a copy in a separate partition. The Mac back-up application is wonderful (Super-Duper) and when I do a back-up these files get backed-up also. Copying the files back to Windows works just fine.
    HNick