Windows freezes, all Windows related icons on dock are gone

RachelW1

Junior Member
Hi,

I am running Max 10.10.5 and am using Windows 7. In the last 2 weeks or so, I have this problem that when I close my laptop, when I open it back up and go to try and use Windows, it is completely frozen. All of the Windows-related icons in my Mac doc (like if I have Outlook, Excel, and my work software open with the 2 red parallel marks on them) are now gone, and when I go to try and click anywhere in Windows, my mouse cursor disappears and I have to CTRL+ALT to unfreeze the cursor.

The only way I have found to get Windows to start working again is to force a restart for my Mac, wait until Windows said that it failed and it offers to restart in safe mode, and then I can restart Windows normally.

As far as I know, I haven't put any software or made any changes that would cause this to suddenly start happening. Is there something I can do to keep this from happening, as it is hurting my work.

Thanks!
 
Hi RachelW1, please check if you are on the latest build of Parallels Desktop for Mac.
Please follow the steps below after checking Parallels Desktop for Mac build:
1. Shut Down Windows and Quit Parallels Desktop for Mac.
2. Go to Mac Finder > applications > Disk Utility and perform a Repair Disk Permission.
3. Reboot Mac and check how it goes.
 
Hi! I did what you said to do above, and it's been working fine, but now I'm having the same problem. Is this just a recurring problem and I'll repeatedly have to repair disk permissions?

Also, when it is completely frozen I don't know how to shut down Windows. Is there a way to force it to shut down? Thank you!
 
Hi, please check if I/O error patterns are present on your Mac Hard Disk. Launch Console (open Finder, go to Applications -> Utilities -> Console app) > in search Box type 'I/O '
If you find I/O error, please repair the Mac Hard Disk and check the issue.
 
when it is completely frozen I don't know how to shut down Windows. Is there a way to force it to shut down?
You can force shut down Windows from Mac > Activity monitor. In case you are running Windows in Full Screen, you can exit Full Screen from View.
 
Back
Top