Windows idle but prl_vm_app at 22%?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Shaddam IV, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Scrubjay

Scrubjay Bit poster

Regarding optimization instructions

The instructions were very helpful. I haven't used Parallels much recently, but I will be needing it for astronomy programs. Before I could get to the optimization, Parallels began an update, so I let it proceed. When it was done, I checked the Activity Monitor. Perl_vm_app was showing activity ranging from 2.5 percent to 57 percent of CPU and 414.5 MB of memory. I watched it for a while and it settled down to the neighborhood of 3 percent. By comparison, the activity monitor was showing from .6 percent to as much as 11 percent when I scrolled in the window. I checked a folder in Home 'psf' of the Window XP and perl_vm_app shot up to 60 percent plus, but only briefly.

It appears that the update has cured the problem with the perl_vm_app consuming too many cycles. I decided to follow the instructions anyway to see the possibilities. I found I had to start Windows in order to get the Parallel button at the top of my screen. Then I had to Shut Down Windows rather than Suspend it in order to see the configuration menu choice on right clicking the Windows XP virtual machine. I selected Configure --> General and found the RAM was set at 1 GB and the CPU at 1. I selected Options and found that Enable Adaptive Hyperuser was not selected (I left it alone), but Tune Windows for Speed was selected. Performance was set as "Faster Virtual Machine", so I changed it to "Faster Mac" (I don't expect the astronomy software to use many cycles). Smart mount was selected.

I will try it like this for a while. Thanks again for the information.

2. BradleySmith

BradleySmith Bit poster

I have this same issue. Running 64 bit Win7. Switching to only using 1 core isn't an option because I'm using Visual Studio 2010 in the Windows client and that won't build properly with only 1 core in a 64 bit OS.

3. Scott Case

Scott Case Bit poster

Also running 64 bit Windows 7 on a Sandy Bridge powered MacBook Pro 15" with 8 GB. No reason the fan should be cranking and battery just absolutely draining. I mean, I'm not doing any heavy lifting; e-mail and web surfing and iPhoto open and the fan's blowing like I'm trying to run Quake or something.

I've only noticed it the last couple of days. Wonder if it's a byproduct of the 10.6.8 update leading up to Lion?

4. James Holcomb

James Holcomb Junior Member

How many vCPUs do you have available/configured? How about RAM configuration? How much physical memory does Window task manager report as used/free?

5. Scott Case

Scott Case Bit poster

6. Stuart Miller

Stuart Miller Member

If you go to Windows task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) in the VM you'll see a task called TaskBarUpdater hogging the cpu. I did a search on the Windows blogs and found the following:

"Go to Add/Remove Software [in the Windows Control Panel]. Uninstall the StartNow Task program (you’ll see it in the list). This obviously is some sort of IE add on that installed itself during a 3rd party software installation."

I did this and pri_vm_app dropped down to less than 10%.