Windows/macOS/Paralells Update Compatibility Thread

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by MatthiasE5, Feb 3, 2022.

1. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

Hello,
    I would like this thread to be a documentation of successful updates, or issues that arise upon updates.
    Please participate by posting your experiences after Updating either Windows, or Parallels, or Mac OS.

I am starting by posting this ; you may wanted use the same formatting:

I did two updates:
    MacOS: Big Sur 11.6.2-->11.6.3
    Windows 11 Pro: Installed update kb5008353:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-preview-920e6297-567b-4b95-afe9-35d17de02c3a
    Parallels: 17.1.1 (51537) (no update applied)
    Hardware: MacBook Air M1

RESULTS: After rebooting and doing basic testing, no issues.

2. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

KB5010386
    Results: After rebooting and doing basic testing, no issues.

3. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

2022-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for arm64-based Systems (KB5010386)
    Installed 2/10/22. No issues (so far) but I am only running a few programs and apps in the Windows 11 VM.

4. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

KB5010414 no problems so far.

5. HansR2

HansR2 Bit poster

same update to KB5010414 & KB5010474, all on macOS 12.2.1/PD 17.1.1 (51537)

6. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

My last update - and my last post in this thread - was to KB5010386. Well it doesn't work perfectly. At least when I try to run the game Grim Dawn under Steam, the mouse was not working properly. Moving it over certain objects either on the ground or in my inventory it was clearly reacting like it was pointed at the wrong spot and in the Options menu the resolution screen dropdown was also having issues. I had Windows 11 ARM reinstall Parallels tools and that seemed to help the issue. Keeping fingers crossed.

7. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

System: MacBook Air M1 2020 Big Sur 11.6.5
    BEWARE: Bad Installation routine for Parallels Desktop 17 for Mac 17.1.2 (51548).
    I wanted to update from 17.1.1 to 17.1.2.
    I shut down windows (via windows start menu; I did not end Windows also via the Parallels Menu afterwards).
    I ran the update. After the update, Parallels showed a box that said Starting..., with three dots animated like this: ., .., ..., ., .., ..., and so forth.
    There was Windows Logo with a parallels logo.
    This screen never disappeared and seemed stuck.
    After some time I simply started the Windows VM (latest Windows 11, Release Channel). I booted up fine, and I was also able to installe Toolbox which was prompted automatically, like always. Restart afterwards also worked fine.
    I am going to use caps now to make a point:

THIS WAS NOT A GOOD EXPERIENCE, I WAS THINKING THE NEW VERSION MIGHT BE MAKING CHANGES TO THE VM FILE IN ORDER TO MAKE IT COMPATIBLE WITH THE LATEST PARALLELS VERSION, AND GOT STUCK HALF WAY WHICH COULD HAVE MEANT VM CORRUPTION.

Please make sure this does not happen again, and also please consider suggesting users to back up their VMs to external (and export TPM keys also) before doing an update just to be sure.

Bottom line: you can update, it will probably work, but better be safe then sorry and make a backup.

8. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

I am adding this for people on the fence: Parallels is excellent, stable software. Don't let yourself be deterred by my last posting! Get Parallels, it's the best!!! :-D

Dmitry@Parallels likes this.
  9. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Like you I always shut down my Windows 11ARM VM (complete shutdown not allowing it to close itself) and never had issues with any recent updates. And like you said - this time it installed the Parallels Tools all by itself also. But in the past - I used to let the Windows VM go into suspend mode to make it quicker to wake up (which is really not an issue with Parallels 17/Windows 11ARM/M1 iMac which opens very quickly) and that did cause problems occasionally with the VM.

10. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

issue as described in #7 persists. no problem, but leaves a bad impression.