Windows opens as black screen

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by EKayeW, Feb 28, 2016.

1. EKayeW

EKayeW Junior Member

I have been successfully using Parallels and Windows on an iMac for about a year. I upgraded to Parallels 11 and Windows 10 without problem---until today. For some reason Windows is opening to a black screen and I cannot open my Windows apps. Can someone help me figure out what is going on? Thanks.
    OS X El Capitain
    Parallels Desktop 11
    Windows 10
    I only use three Windows programs and can get none of them to open.

Kaye

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi @EKayeW, please stop the virtual machine by clicking on Actions (From the Apple menu bar) > Stop. Then try to start the virtual machine and check how it goes.

3. EKayeW

EKayeW Junior Member

Thank you. That fixed it. Why does that happen? It is opening differently now--instead of asking for the password and opening to the desktop, only the 'metro' start menu opens with the available apps. I guess that is OK, but why the change? Did I do something?

4. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi @EKayeW, you are welcome. It can happen due to various other reasons like Windows updates, Windows services not running etc. Also reinstall Parallels Tools to update the drivers, refer to this article.

5. Guys, did the previous solution help? Please let us know if you have any additional questions.