Windows Server 2019 is recognized as 2016

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MarcusDiddle, Dec 13, 2018.

1. MarcusDiddle

MarcusDiddle Junior Member

Running Parallels Desktop Pro 14 for Mac and noticed something odd. Am setting up a new VM for Windows Server 2019. Downloaded the Server 2019 ISO from MSDN. Selected that ISO to create a new VM. Parallels initially recognizes the OS as Server 2016. When prompted to select the OS edition, it lists 2019 editions to select. When it attempts to auto-name the VM, it attempts to name it Server 2016. But when the install process begins, it's definitely installing Server 2019.

Anyone else experience this? I searched the forum and found no mention yet of Server 2019, so it could be no one else has tried setting it up yet. Just wondering if the issue is the ISO that I downloaded from MS, or if the issue is in how Parallels recognizes the ISO (still treating it as Server 2016 for some reason).

Attached Files:

• 01.png
      01.png
      File size:
      502.8 KB
      Views:
    • 02.png
      02.png
      File size:
      167.8 KB
      Views:
    • 03.png
      03.png
      File size:
      95.4 KB
      Views:
    • 04.png
      04.png
      File size:
      102.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @MarcusDiddle , Parallels Desktop 14 for mac doesn't support Windows server 2019. Please check this article for further assistance.

3. MarcusDiddle

MarcusDiddle Junior Member

Thanks for the link. It installs and runs fine from what I can tell. Your KB also doesn't list Server 2016 as being supported, but I've been running Server 2016 VM's for some time now without issue.