Windows sharing of Parallels shared OS X volume

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PragmaticReviteer, Mar 2, 2013.

1. PragmaticReviteer

PragmaticReviteer Junior Member

I am wondering if anyone has found a way to share a drive or folder via Windows that is a Mac folder shared via Parallels?

I habe a Mac Mini, with a 500GB drive on which I have my VM. I also have a 750GB drive, which I have Shared via Parallels, so it shows up as Z: in Windows 7 (Home). I have a large amount of data (200+ GB) that I need to share with other Windows VMs, and due to some permissions/execution problems with simple OS X SMB shares (you can run a Windows install program from an OS X SMB share) I need to do this as a Windows share. However, I also want to run Hazel against this volume, so having it as a native OS X drive and then shared by Parallels is ideal.
    However, when I go to the share menu in Windows, I get no Sharing option. If I go to a folder that is part of the VHD, I get SHare options no problem.
    So, am I going to have to create a big VHD on my second drive, and then have trouble with getting Hazel to work? Or is there an approach to Windows sharing on Parallels shared OS X volumes?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Gordon

2. PragmaticReviteer

PragmaticReviteer Junior Member

Perhaps another way to phrase this is to ask, is anyone using Parallels to host a Windows Server? And if so, how do you handle your shares? Everything as VHDs seems pretty inefficient. And it seems like there should be some viable way to have a share that is seen by both Windows and OS X, and allows OS X events to trigger Hazel.

Gordon