Windows slow on external 4K monitor

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GeneC6, May 13, 2020.

1. GeneC6

GeneC6 Bit poster

Initially I created a windows VM under High Sierra on my mid-2015 MBP using Parallels 13 and everything was running great. I have an external 4K monitor and everything was fine in scaled mode. When I upgraded to Catalina everything was still running fine. Recently I reinstalled Catalina from scratch and imported the old VM. Now I have a problem when I move the VM to the external 4K monitor. On the retina display everything runs fine. When I move the window to the external monitor everything slows down. I've tried the retina, the scaled display, and the external monitor configurations and nothing works.

What can I do to resolve the issue?

2. MatthewM13

MatthewM13 Bit poster

I have the same issue...does anyone have a solution?

3. Hello, did you upgrade your Parallels Desktop to 15 version?

4. Hi, Are you running any specific app, Mind Manager for example?

5. MatthewM13

MatthewM13 Bit poster

Hi Maria,

Thank you for your reply

I am running Parallels version 14 and its when I am running myob ...not sure about other applications as I really only have this for myob.

6. Thank you for the provided info.
    Is it possible to create a screenshot of the issue and share it here?

7. MatthewM13

MatthewM13 Bit poster

Hard to take a screen shot to illustrate a slow screen..??

8. GeneC6

GeneC6 Bit poster

I ended up having to upgrade to Parallels 15 for my VM to work smoothly under Catalina. What's weird is when I upgraded from Mojave to Catalina running Parallels 13 everything was fine. It was only an issue when I reinstalled Catalina from scratch and tried to use Parallels 13.

9. Please be informed that Paralels Desktop 13 for Mac is not compatible with macOS Catalina. Hence, you need to upgrade to version 15 to work without any issues.

10. GeneC6

GeneC6 Bit poster

But why would it work via the upgrade path? When I upgraded from Mojave to Catalina it was running great.

11. MatthewM13

MatthewM13 Bit poster

I am running parallels 14 and still have the issue of myob running slow on an extended 4k screen

12. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Yes, it might work because Parallels Desktop was installed on Mojave or before, so all files required and permissions needed were there but when you install it in a fresh Catalina the installer of Parallels Desktop will detect it as an incompatible OS and the installation will not proceed.