Windows update: Install error - 0x80073701

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mrbartuss, Dec 31, 2022.

1. mrbartuss

mrbartuss Bit poster

Hi,
    no matter what I do, I still have the same error. I have already contacted Parallels support. Unfortunately none of their solutions worked. I've also searched Internet and tried things like: SFC and DISM scan, running Windows Update Troubleshooter, clearing the software distribution folder. None of them worked.
    I've just thought maybe I could just somehow completely reinstall the whole Windows system. Can I do that with the same license key?
    Since I only use it for Excel I'm not afraid of losing any files or documents.
    I would be very kind if anyone could help.

Solutions recommended by Parallels support.
    1) Please follow the below steps:

Step-1: You need to click on the "Start" icon, type control and press 'Enter'.

Step-2: Choose Program & features from the applet.

Step-3: When you see 3 different options in the left pane, click on "Turn Window Features On or Off".

Step-4: Once the Windows Features wizard appears, move your mouse cursor and check the box for the option ".Net Framework 3.5 (includes .Net 2.0 and 3.0)". Click OK.

This process might take you 3 to 5 minutes depending on your computer RAM and the internet speed.

Now hopefully the Error Code 0x800f0950 will be solved.

2) Please follow the below steps:

1. Run the Virtual Machine.

2. Create a snapshot (In the top menu, click Actions > Take Snapshot).

3. Shut down the Virtual Machine. Make sure that the virtual machine is shut down. If it is in a suspended state, please run it and then shut down (Actions > Shut Down).

4. Open the Virtual Machine's Configuration (https://kb.parallels.com/117287) > Hardware > then select TPM click (click the lock to prevent further changes) and then click on "-" to delete TPM chip.

5. You will get following message:

If you remove Trusted Platform Module, "Windows 11" may become unbootable. Are you sure you want to remove it?

6. Click "Remove".

7. Run the Virtual Machine.

8. Try to update Windows.

7. If the update is installed:

7.1 Restart the Virtual Machine.

7.2 Shut down the Virtual Machine. Make sure that the virtual machine is shut down. If it is in a suspended state, please run it and then shut down (Actions > Shut Down).

7.3 Open the Virtual Machine's Configuration (https://kb.parallels.com/117287) > Hardware > then click "+" > TPM to add a new TPM chip.

7.4 you will get following message:

You are going to add Trusted Platform Module to "Windows 11". Do you want to continue?

7.4 Press "Add".

7.5 TPM chip will be added to your Virtual Machine.

7.4 Run the Virtual Machine.

3) To let us better understand the issue, kindly perform steps below:

1. Check the integrity of the system components:

2. Press Command + R to open a Run dialog box. Then, type CMD and then press CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER.

3. Execute the command below:

Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth

4. When the operation is completed (take a screenshot), execute the command below:

SFC /SCANNOW

5. When the SFC scan is completed (take a screenshot), restart the Virtual Machine.

6. Check if the issue persists.

4) To let us better understand the issue, kindly try to perform the steps below:

1) Make sure that the virtual machine is shut down. If it is in a suspended state, please run it and then shut down (Actions > Shut Down).

2) Open virtual machine's configuration: https://kb.parallels.com/117287

3) Go to Hardware tab.

5) Go to "Boot Order" in "Hardware" tab.

6) Click "Advanced".

7) Paste boot flag:

vm.bios.efi=1

8) Start Windows virtual machine and check if updates could be installed.

If issue does persist, collect an additional technical report (click Parallels icon || > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this e-mail.

None of them worked.

Attached Files:

2. TinaA

TinaA Junior Member

Hi, I can't update my Windows 10. Apparently I am "missing important security and quality fixes", but the only option offered in Settings -> Update and Security is "Download". So I did that, and the counter went to 100%, but what do I do next? I can't find a downloaded update file on the computer. I ran the Troubleshooting this as instructed above, and it said an issue was detected and now I should try to do the task again, but the problem remains.

Attached Files: