Windows VHD import into PD 9

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by qiwi2000, Jan 3, 2014.

1. qiwi2000

qiwi2000 Bit poster

Hi,

how can I import a VHD (created with sys internals Disk2VHD)
    into Parallels Desktop 9???

Thanks...

2. Simplifying

Simplifying Bit poster

Just just when through this...

Yes, you can do this but you must first create a virtual machine using another application. I used VirtualBox (VB). VB is also a good way to test that your VHD will boot prior to having Parallels convert it. One thing you may want to keep in mind is that Disk2VHD will maintain all partition information when the VHD is created and I had to jump over a few hurdles to remove the additional partition information that I no longer needed for the VM, in order for Parallels to recognize the correct VHD size.

3. qiwi2000

qiwi2000 Bit poster

Hi - thanks for reply.
    I have installed Virtual Box - imported the VHD - but the machine run into a bluescreen. Do you know how I can extract this VHD-File? In Virtual Box there is one VHD-File - but on the computer there was drive c: (system) and drive d:(data). Thanks in advance.

4. Simplifying

Simplifying Bit poster

The blue screen may be occurring if you have the wrong storage controller. Try using IDE and not SATA or SCSI which is the default. Regarding the VHD file, make sure you have both drives (system and data) selected when creating the VHDs. Occasionally, I have also had to attach the OS CD/DVD ISO file to the VM and boot from that to do a repair of the master boot record, but try changing the controller first. You should have a VHD file for each drive selected in Disk2VHD but you really only need the system disk file. You can always mount the data VHD after the VM is running. It will have a reference to the data disk in Disk Management, which you will need to delete, then mount the data VHD file as the D: drive.
    I hope this helps!

5. qiwi2000

qiwi2000 Bit poster

Hi,
    on the original computer it was SATA and that's what I have tried. But it works now with IDE :D
    But now..... What do I have to do to get this VM into Parallels????
    It is running now in Virtual Box without Problems.

6. qiwi2000

qiwi2000 Bit poster

OK. Finished.
    It was a long way :)
    Thanks for your help!

Sven

7. Simplifying

Simplifying Bit poster

That's great! I am not sure why that isn't a more obvious selection in Parallels.