Windows VM in totally isolated environment

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by thomasaiwilcox, Apr 14, 2018.

1. thomasaiwilcox

thomasaiwilcox Bit poster

Hi all,

I am currently running the trial version of parallels and was hoping to switch over from Virtualbox. I work in IT support and need to run virtual servers and guest OS's. Unfortunately the integration side of parallels seems to have made this a bit of a nightmare for me. I understand that this is great for the average user but it far from ideal for me.

When installing Server 2016 from an ISO I sourced myself, Parallels forces me to choose a version (i.e. Standard or datacenter) which is something that the hypervisor should have nothing to do with. It also automates the install and creates a user with auto login. I tried canceling this from the menu during installation with no luck.

Is there any way to get Parallels to not integrate into my VMs and allow me to run what are essentially sandboxes or am I trying to use the wrong tool for the job?

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @thomasaiwilcox , if you would like to have virtual machines completely isolated from your Mac, you can check this article and let us know if that helps.

3. thomasaiwilcox

thomasaiwilcox Bit poster

Hi @Arun@Parallels, thanks for your response. This is a step in the right direction but im still having issues.

I have just installed Windows 10 and set it to isolated. I went through every setting to make sure there was no integration. I opted to complete the installation manually but the windows install completed without asking me to create a user and rebooted and auto logged in with a user under my personal name along with the parallels toolkit being installed which I really didn't want.

Is there anyway I can just run a VM manually without parallels interfering with my guest os?

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Try following the steps shared in this thread which will let you install manually as you have expected.