Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by TimA1, Jan 16, 2016.

1. TimA1

TimA1 Bit poster

Windows XP Pro Disc.JPG Greetings,
    I am considering buying a Mac. I currently have a Dell computer running XP Pro. I have the re-installation disc and product key that came with the computer. See attached photos. On the disk, it says, "Only use this CD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell computer." So here's my question.

Will I be able to install Windows XP Pro on a Mac running Parallels with the disc and product key I have?

Thanks, Tim

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

As far as I can tell, that's an OEM license, OEM licenses are not transferable, Microsoft as licensed you to use Windows XP only in the computer it came in. You can try, but the result is that the license will likely not activate.

Parallels Desktop comes with a Parallels Transporter which is an app that that is installed on the Windows machine and makes the transfer, virtualization easy, without losing any app or document, however the issue with teh OEM license remains.

Finally, I suggest you edit the picture with the serial number so it cannot be used by anyone else reading this forum.

3. TimA1

TimA1 Bit poster

Thanks for the heads up Specimen!

4. David_T

David_T Member

Yes, it can work, but it's technically not legal. The disk may not work as it may try to effectively image itself on the drive and have all the dell driver's pre-installed. Like a recovery disk

Some product keys are limited to OEM installs, so a full XP installed may not recognise that key.

5. TimA1

TimA1 Bit poster

Forgive me but I'm starting to get a little confused..
    Specimen mentions, "You can try, but the result is that the license will likely not activate."
    Does that mean the program won't run/work?
    and
    David_T say's, "Yes, but illegal", and, "image itself on the drive". I like your first word, David, "Yes". But there was some concern it might not work after that word. Are you a definite "Yes"?

6. David_T

David_T Member

It's a very likely to be a yes. I've moved an OEM licence from one machine being scrapped to another and it worked. We done it quite a few times as machines where I worked were getting upgraded. Slightly dodgy ground, but we viewed it as we bought the license with the PC, that PC is now redundant, so microsoft aren't losing as the company would not have paid for new XP licenses for those upgrade regardless.

Look on the CD and see if it's an XP installed, or image that's restored. I would try borrow a full XP disk (or from other "online sources") and try and install with that product key.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Short answer, there's no guarantee it will work, only that it MIGHT.

8. TimA1

TimA1 Bit poster

Thanks guys! I'll give it a try.