Windows XP says it's in coherence but isn't

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MartinLiss, Aug 21, 2022.

1. MartinLiss

MartinLiss Member

I just upgraded to Parallels Desktop for Mac Version 18.0. I have two VMs, one for Windows 10 and the other for Windows 10. Windows 10 is fine but Windows XP, while it says it's in coherence mode, isn't. Instead it floats as a window of its own. I've tried shutting it down, rebooting my Mac, taking it out of coherence mode and changing it back but nothing helps. Any suggestions?

2. MartinLiss

MartinLiss Member

I should have said "I have two VMs, one for Windows XP and the other for Windows 10.

3. JohnW82

JohnW82 Bit poster

I believe Microsoft is not supporting Windows XP now.

4. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello!
    Our developers know about the issue and are working on a fix for that. Subscribe to https://kb.parallels.com/129060 to get email notifications once the new version is out.

5. MartinLiss

MartinLiss Member

Thanks. Do you have any idea when the fix will be ready?

6. Mikhail Ushakov

We can't disclose the information about future releases but trust me, it'll be addressed shortly :)

7. Mikhail Ushakov

Hello,
    Let me inform you that we've just released Parallels Desktop 18.0.1 which addresses the issue:
    1. Right-click the Parallels Desktop icon in Dock > Check for updates.
    2. Follow on-screen instructions.
    3. Once Parallels Desktop is updated, start your virtual machine and remove Parallels Tools manually from Add/Remove Programs in Windows XP. The removal process can sometimes be relatively long (~5 min).
    4. Click Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools. Once the process is completed, restart your virtual machine to apply changes.