won t install boot camp partition

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BenoitC, Feb 15, 2011.

1. BenoitC

BenoitC Bit poster

boot camp partition:Make sure that you have read/write permissions for the disk

Hi

I just bought a new Imac yesterday !! I already used bootcamp and installed windows 7 64 bits. No problem in boot camp !! windows launch !!

but i tried to install parallels, from boot camp partition, i get this:
    Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk.

A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permissions for the disk.
    and after details
    Error: PRL_ERR_DISK_GPT_MBR_NOT_EQUAL (0x80021065)
    Path: '/Users/apple/Documents/Parallels/Windows 7.pvm/WDC WD1001FALS-40Y6A0 (disk0).hdd'

Little precision, vmware fusion is installed already (but i prefer use parallels)... please Help me !!!
    thanks in advance
    Ben

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  2. BenoitC

BenoitC Bit poster

i check all this forum, this problem seems to appear since parallels desktop 4.0 !!!!!

3. fabienneS

fabienneS Bit poster

same issue here

Path: '/Users/johndoe/Documents/Parallels/Eigenes Boot Camp.pvm/Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 (disk0).hdd

any suggestions? thanks!

4. St3v3h

St3v3h Bit poster

Same Problem Here

Path: '/Users/steve/Documents/Parallels/Windows 7.pvm/TOSHIBA MK7559GSXF (disk0).hdd'

Any ideas?

5. Roman Fattakhov

Roman Fattakhov Parallels Team

Hello,

This issue has been already reported to Paralleles team, and a fix will be included to one of upcoming updates

6. mikeorb

mikeorb Bit poster

I just installed the trial against a brand new Macbook w/ brand new Win 7 x64 bootcamp -- that runs fine -- and receive same error. On paper Parallels looked better than Fusion. But I need this NOW, not some "future date."

Do you have Beta releases I could try?

Thanks,
    -Mike

7. RusselJ

RusselJ Banned

Do we need to have a specific parallel version?[​IMG]

8. beta_sales

beta_sales Member

I am also running into this problem. What happened was I installed boot camp to a GUID partition instead of MBR. However, it worked fine and I didn't even realise it was set to GUID until getting the same error as everyone above.

Is a fix for this really forthcoming, or am I better off just reformatting the disk?

I've logged a support ticket 1177460 on this issue.

9. beta_sales

beta_sales Member

Here is the response I got from tech support:

I would like to clarify that this error message means that the disk partitions in Windows Boot Camp (Master boot record (MBR) are not the same as in Mac OS (GUID Partition Table (GPT)). To be able to use this Boot Camp partition in the virtual machine you need to synchronize the disk partitioning schemes in Windows and Mac OS, so it should be the same size.

It means that you installed Windows in Boot Camp in some different way (not the one Apple recommends). And unfortunately, in this case it is not possible to create Boot Camp virtual machine without recreating Boot Camp partition.

The only solution here to re-create Boot Camp partition and reinstall Windows by following the exact steps from Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3986

10. beta_sales

beta_sales Member

Well, looks like that advice is nonsense. I've reformatted the disk, set the partition to MBR, but the Boot Camp Assistant changes it back to GUID anyway! Still have the same problem.

11. LT7205

LT7205 Bit poster

I got the same error with the latest, Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac.

MacBook Air 2011, OS X Lion, Windows 7 64-bit installed on boot camp partition. Error:

"Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk". More details:

Path: '/Users/bian/Documents/Parallels/My Boot Camp.pvm/APPLE SSD SM256C (disk0).hdd'

12. beta_sales

beta_sales Member

Solution

I went back and forth with Parallels support over this for several weeks, and eventually got it to work just through experimentation.

This is what worked for me:

I ran boot camp assistant with windows 7 sp1 install disc. Then I powered off the machine and disconnected all the HDDs except the boot camp one, then installed windows. The partition type is still GPT but it now seems to work at least.

I have completely given up on Parallels since. Their useless support (check this forum for instance, which they list as one of their primary methods for support) coupled with numerous bugs and "upgrades" that offer no functionality other than compatibility with the latest OS, are just not worthy of my time or money any more.

13. King LotA

King LotA Junior Member

Yes right, but it's already solved now. The latest updates works fine.[​IMG]

14. Corker

Corker Bit poster

We have the same problem with the latest version of Parallels, Win8 running fine in bootcamp but when you ask Parallels to use it you get this error. Please let me know if there is a fix.

This has worked ok on 1 laptop, but this one is different in that OSX and Win8 are on the same hard drive where the other I did they had a disk each.

15. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

This is a sync issue between GPT and MBR, search the forums for those keywords.

16. AlexMac

AlexMac Bit poster

sync problem solved, at a price

I had the same issue as everyone in this thread.

Couldn't get bootcamp to run.

Error:

Failed to configure the Boot Camp partition's hard disk.

A disk configuration error has occurred. Make sure that you have read/write permissions for the disk.

Solution:

I purchased iPartition as others have mentioned and didn't even resize the bootcamp partition. Just had to write as if was resized. 10 secs later done.

I did back up in case, but no changes are apparent. Other than the re-write syncs MBR and GPT. And parallels now works.

Dreadful support BTW. Tried two chat support sessions with folks woefully lacking in most basic understanding.

Pleasant of course, just hopeless. Parallels needs to supply a simple fix for this sync eror and train support. Or at least provide them access to forums. I learned more myself with basic research than the support folks seemed to know.