Won't run Ancestral Quest after Lion OS upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by VeeB, Aug 26, 2011.

1. VeeB

VeeB Junior Member

Won't run Ancestral Quest on external control monitor (Lion OS)

I just upgraded to Lion OS X 10.7.1. Running Windows 7 under Parallels 6. Ancestral Quest (a genealogy program) ran fine under the Leopard OS X 10.6.8. When I start Ancestral Quest running in Coherence mode I just get an Ancestral Quest icon in the tray at the bottom of the screen. I tried it under the full screen Windows 7, running under parallels and it does the same thing.

I am running a shared screens (2 monitors) configuration. I'll try it with just one screen and see what happens. It ran fine right after upgrading to Lion. I have since moved the control screen to my external monitor. That might be the problem.

Anyone else having trouble with it after upgrading to Lion OS and using two monitors? I'm using a new MacBook Pro.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. VeeB

VeeB Junior Member

I'm replying to my own post. Ancestral Quest windows will not open if you are using an external monitor and have it setup as the control screen. My 23" LCD is easier to use as the control monitor, with the laptop screen being the external monitor. Easy to change back and forth in the System Preferences, Displays, and Arrangement screens. You can move the small rectangle from one screen to the other, designating one of them as the control screen.

Ancestral Quest will not run when the 23" monitor is the control monitor. It is probably running, but I can't see the screens on either monitor. Switched it back so that the laptop screen is the control screen and it works fine.

Not sure whose camp this bug is in, but it is frustrating and took a while to figure out the solution.

I can run it under either coherance or full screen Windows 7. But, not with an external control screen.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011