Works as a VPN?

Discussion in 'Parallels Remote Application Server' started by techm, May 13, 2007.

1. techm

techm Guest

Does the 2X Application Server need to be running on the same network or VPN as the client computers? I have an off-site server that we currently connect to remotely through Windows Remote Desktop. We don't have any sort of VPN between us and the server and it connects perfectly. I've been messing around with my 2X AppServer settings for a few days now, and for the life of me, I can't even get my client software to work. I just get an "Error connecting to the 2X Server specified" Am I missing something?

2. hosse

hosse Guest

Hi,

when Application Server is working in gateway mode you are able to connect your clients to it, even if they're not in the same subnet.

Example:

you have your Application Server in a Network with Network Adress: 100.100.100.0 and your clients in 100.100.200.0

now you have to open the port the Application Server uses in gatewaymode in 100.100.100.0 and forward this port to the Appserv Machine.

Your clients in 100.100.200.0 should now be able to connect to 100.100.100.0:AppservPort.

However it's possible I would't do this. So perhaps you should consider using a VPN.

Greetings,
    Alex

3. techm

techm Guest

Alex - thanks - what happens if they're on completely different IP ranges entirely? As in, the entire address is different, not just the subnet?

4. hosse

hosse Guest

hhmm I guess it should work... i'll test for you, wait a few minutes ;)

5. hosse

hosse Guest

oky, it works in the way I said.

you have to forward the tcp port.

6. hosse

hosse Guest

what I forgot is, you should consider using the SSL Feature of the Application Server that makes this a little bit more secure.

Otherwise it's a real security breach.

But it's anyway a security hole, don't forget this please.

7. techm

techm Guest

Great news. And don't worry, we absolutely will do the SSL- that was half the reason we wanted to try this out. We can't attach any VPN hardware to the server itself for weird contractual reasons and we wanted something secure that could also run our app seamlessly. I'll try this out soon and report back if it works. Thanks for the help!