X1 not working in Win 11 ARM

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by abroder, Dec 10, 2022.

Tags:
  1. abroder

abroder Bit poster

Has anyone been able to successfully run the x1 (see x1.com) desktop search client under ARM Windows 11? I had it working very nicely for a while, but then starting in September x1 stopped being able to connect to the Outlook data files to index them. X1 is an amazing program on Intel Windows, and unfortunately spotlight search on MacOS just doesn't provide the thorough and precise search that x1 provides.

2. HowardK1

HowardK1 Bit poster

Hi! I am a long time Windows user moving over to Mac. I also just installed parallels as a fresh install, and cannot get X1 to connect to Outlook (running in the VM). I just doesn't connect, no errors, but it cannot see my Outlook email profile.

Did you ever fix your issue?

3. abroder

abroder Bit poster

Unfortunately, I have not fixed the issue. I tried to get help from X1 tech support, but they say that they just don't support ARM. It is a horrible shame, as all my others Win 11 (Intel) applications work just fine on Parallels Win 11 on Mac silicon. Its not clear why X1 won't work.

My most recent solution is to buy a small form factor Windows PC for the sole purpose of running Intel Windows & Outlook & X1, and then I connect via RDP to have an x1 window in my Mac's desktop. But this is a poor substitute.

I have been trying to force myself to get used to Mac's spotlight search, since getting X1 on Mac is just a losing battle. There is a convenient native Mac application called HoudahSpot that provides a reasonable interface to Spotlight, but not as elegant as X1's. So far, I've been able to use HoudahSpot to search all my emails and all my Mac's file content. I have not, though, been able to confirm whether I can search the content of mail attachments. Be aware that if you want HoudahSpot to be able to search your emails, you MUST use the native MacOS mail application, and not Outlook (or you can run both, but spotlight, and therefore HoudahSpot, only connects to the mail content retrieved by MacOS mail).

I have been asking X1 support for literally years to consider porting X1 to MacOS, but they always have higher priorities.

4. HowardK1

HowardK1 Bit poster

I think this is the end of the road. X1 indicates they rely heavily on MAPI calls which apparently aren't supported well by Windows ARM. Parallels can't really do anything. I did convince X1 to try and work with the Parellels team, but they are not very open minded about this.

I did exactly the same thing, i migrated all my emails to a dedicated windows box and RDP into it. :(

I am curious as to why such a software doesn't exist on Mac, but remember that even on Windows there aren't a lot of alternatives to X1.

5. abroder

abroder Bit poster

Just curious if anyone out there has had success yet with X1 within Parallels in Win11 ARM

6. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    The Apple M1 chip has an ARM architecture (unlike the x86/x64 architecture typical of classic desktop processors). And in a virtual machine on a Mac with an M1 chip, it is currently possible to run only Window ARM -- the Windows version for processors with ARM architecture (for example, it is used on devices with mobile chips like Microsoft Surface Pro X). And indeed, despite the built-in compatibility layer that allows you to run x86/x64 applications on Windows ARM, some applications, or drivers (in your case it's a X1 application) do not work.
    We suggest you contact X1 application developers and ask whether they fully support ARM Windows 11.
    Kindly refer to the system requirements for X1 for more info: https://www.x1.com/products/x1-search/
    Thank you.

7. BrianT18

BrianT18

Can anyone confirm that, other than for Outlook integration, X1 works in Parallels (M2 Mac Mini) for indexing and searching all of my files? I don't need the Outlook integration, but I have a large number of documents (primarily PDF and DOC files) that I rely on X1 to be able to search through. Thanks!