willonamac
Bit poster
Today I have installed Windows XP Home on Parallels Desktop. The disk I used was an original retail CD. It was not an OEM or update disk. When installing XP, Parallels prompted me for the 25 digit product key which I entered and it let me continue. Then after installing XP I was again prompted for the 25 digit product key - this time by Windows itself.
The problem I have though is that the Windows Activation application wont accept my key and every time I start XP a balloon in the system tray warns me that I only have so many days left in which to activate! After which period, I don't know what would happen. Also, sometimes I launch Windows Activation from the start menu and nothing happens.
To add to confusion though, when I go to the Windows Genuine Software site (http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx) and run the validation test, I get the following message:
Regardless of XP's prompts though, I was able to run software update and update to SP2 and get many other updates.
So the question is, has my XP install validated or not and if it has, how do I switch off the registration prompts?
The problem I have though is that the Windows Activation application wont accept my key and every time I start XP a balloon in the system tray warns me that I only have so many days left in which to activate! After which period, I don't know what would happen. Also, sometimes I launch Windows Activation from the start menu and nothing happens.
To add to confusion though, when I go to the Windows Genuine Software site (http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx) and run the validation test, I get the following message:
Validation Complete!
Thank you for validating your copy of Microsoft Windows.
Thank you for using the Windows Genuine Advantage program. You may now access resources for genuine Windows users.
Regardless of XP's prompts though, I was able to run software update and update to SP2 and get many other updates.
So the question is, has my XP install validated or not and if it has, how do I switch off the registration prompts?