XP Fails to Print to Printer Attached to USB Port of Airport Express.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Gary Kellogg, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Gary Kellogg

Gary Kellogg Member

I have a DYMO LabelWriter 400 that is connected to the USB port of an Airport Express on our network. My MacBook Pro recognizes the printer and prints to it successfully. I have set the printer up using Bonjour for Windows on my Parallels 5 XP-SP3 virtual machine. Everything looks fine, except the printer will not print.

The printer is set up to be shared on my MacBook Pro per Bonjour instructions. I have even examined the CUPS administration page on my MacBook and it is clear some kind of communication is getting out of the XP virtual machine and to the host machine. However there is no printing although both the XP machine and the host machine are satisfied that the job printed successfully.

I can get a blank test page to print from the XP virtual machine when I install a generic text only driver and print a test page, but if I use such a driver, then the DYMO label software will not recognize the printer at all. I feel like there is maybe one key setting between Parallels and the host machine I may be missing here.

If anyone has some additional troubleshooting ideas, I would be most thankful. I am really stumped on this one (So close, yet so far).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  2. BonniV

BonniV Bit poster

Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm going through this too.

3. Gary Kellogg

Gary Kellogg Member

I have still not succeeded with this but have an Arkview USB server that i hope to experiment with over the Christmas holiday. I will share the results here. It is really a shame that Dymo wants over $200 for their own print server (and there is no guarantee that it will work in environment with virtual machines).

I have discovered the Dymo Windows software will que up a huge number of jobs and then print them when I plug the printer into the USB port on my machine, a Unibody 17" MacBook Pro.

4. BonniV

BonniV Bit poster

My setup is this:

I have a macbook pro with parallels. The dymo is connected by usb to a mac mini. I set up the dymo through bonjour and left the stock driver it installed and can get it to print a blank label. If I open the dymo software with that driver it won't open. If I change the driver over to the dymo driver, the software will open but the blank label will no longer print.
    I wonder if I install the dymo printer while it's connected direct and then move it and change the port...?

I have a zebra printer connected usb to a time capsule and can print from that just fine and a wireless Brother all in one that works fine too. I tried the zebra once with a usb hub and it didn't like that, it wanted to be connected right to the time capsule. If only there were a second slot on the time capsule....