XP Installation Problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Amuk, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Amuk

Amuk Bit poster

Hi -

I'm new to Mac and am excited about getting going. I'm sorry if this has been addressed previously, but I couldn't find a reply.

I've installed Parallels desktop as instructed and set-up a VM for my XP installation.

In the Resources list I clicked the cd/DVD rom 1 link.

In the configuration Editor, I selecte3d CD/DVD rom and verified that ENABLED and CONNECT AT STARTUP are checked.

I selected Use CD/DVD-ROM and the drive was selected automatically to the default....So I didn't have a option to select.

I Saved the set-up.

Now here's where things got a little strange. The instructions say to "Choose DEFAULT CD/DVD-ROM from the DEVICES menu. I go to the top of the screen and click on devices and everything is grayed out so I can't pick anything.

Unable to do anything, I inserted the windows XP disk and click the POWER ON button.

ALMOST INSTANTLY, THE THE SCREEN IS GRAYED OUT FROM TOP TO BOTTOM WITH THE UGLY LOOKING MESSAGE: YOU NEED TO RESATRT YOUR COMPUTER...

It just won't accept my XP. What gives?

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

2. ekday

ekday Bit poster

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I tried uninstalling Parallels and doing the process over, but received the message, "Unable to start hypersomething." Obviously that wasn't the exact message, but I can't remember what it said now. I searched for hyper???? and someone recommended restarting my mac, so I did, and I was back to the gray screen of death.

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team