XP Parallels 9 Mavericks Fresh Install Windows Update will not work.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LeeS40, Nov 2, 2013.

1. LeeS40

LeeS40 Bit poster

Hi. Recent convert from Fusion here, with new iMac, just installed Mavericks, Parallels 9, using XP Pro SP2 disk. I just cannot get Windows Update working.
    Only bought the iMac and Parallels less than 30 days ago.

I have searched and searched and found various people with similar issues and I have tried all sorts of fixes. I have reinstalled 3 times from scratch and used various combinations of below but still no luck.

Install XP as New Virtual Machine following standard instructions (use as PC).
    Install IE8 via IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe download from Microsoft
    Install XP SP3 via WindowsXP-KB963929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe download from Microsoft
    Install .NET SP2 via NetFx20SP2_x86.exe downloaded from Microsoft and the update -
    NDP20SP2-KB958481-x86.exe downloaded from Microsoft
    Install WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe downloaded from Microsoft
    Open Windows Update and download the 'new version' which then gets me to the Express or Custom options
    Tried using Windows Update Fixit at various times, and normally end up with error stating 'service registration is running or corrupt'

Once managed to use Start Run - SFC /Scannow but now that tells me that I have the wrong Disk!

When I can click Express or Custom after a short while Network traffic stops and svchost.exe takes over the processor/s

HELP!!! please.

Why does Parallels 9 not appear to work with XP SP2?
    Thanks