XP Startup changes my Macbook Appearance and highlight color

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BD1, Jun 28, 2013.

1. BD1

BD1 Bit poster

When I start an XP virtual machine it changes my Macbook Appearance (taskbar, windows menu, etc.) color from graphite to blue. When I suspend or shutdown XP it changes the appearance back to graphite. This just started occurring. Any ideas on how to stop it? It is not the biggest issue but it is annoying. I am on the most current versions of Parallels and Mac os.

I also have another Macbook with the same setup and this issue is not occurring. I compared all the settings on both machines and could not find a difference.

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Seems like it's running on the OS X root account or some other account, hence the visual changes. Is the .pvm in the /Users/Shared folder?

3. BD1

BD1 Bit poster

.pvm is in the /Users/Shared folder and has been in same location since I started using parallels a number of years ago. The only recent change is I did the last parallels upgrade (which added mavericks support which I am not running). Build 8.0.18494. On my macbook where I don't have the issue (and the setup is basically identical) I have not done the latest upgrade and am on the March 30 Build 8.0.1.18483.

This seems to be the only difference btwn my 2 machines other and one is a pro and the other an air.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

It's not really a question of having another idea. The reality is that the process is most likely running under another user, hence the visual change, the question is, why.

5. BD1

BD1 Bit poster

According to the activity monitor Parallels is running under my userid. And the color shift only occurs after I start the XP machine. And I still don't see a different user in activity monitor. I tried reinstalling parallels and also creating a clone. But the problem still exists. Could something in my XP display controls cause this?