XP won't change automatically resolutions in Parallels 6

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by johnak, Sep 26, 2010.

1. johnak

johnak Junior Member

Hi guys,

Previously when I resized the window with my Windows VM in it, it would adjust the resolution of the Windows desktop to match. Now it simply doesn't adjust the size. If I make the window smaller than the desktop, it has me scrolling around. If I make the window bigger than the desktop (or put it into full screen) I get the same size desktop sitting in the middle of a black empty space.

And yes, Parallels tools are installed and updated...

It's version 6 with Win XP Pro SP3 (32bit) on a MacBook unibody with 10.6.4.

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Maybe Parallels Tools are not installed correctly. Use Add/Remove in the Control Panel to remove Parallels Tools. Then restart. Then install Parallels Tools. Make sure it restarts again. Then test the Parallels Tools features.

3. ParkerW

ParkerW Bit poster

Same problem

I searched and searched online for this same problem (except I had it with linux) and nothing anyone said worked. I updated parallels tools and the whole bit but nada. I finally fixed it because I found out that if you click on the Windows XP VM in the list of VMs, but don't turn it on, and go to Virtual Machine -> Configure -> Hardware -> Video, it by default only gave 3MB of video ram to the VM. When I adjusted it up to 16MB, I suddenly had all the resolution I need. So that might be the problem.

Hope it helps :)