I bought Parallels 2 a year ago. Since then all 2.x updates were free.
I bought a second licence for my Macbook a few months ago. In both cases the process took a few minutes.
Last week I received an email informing me about the upcoming release of version 3 and would I want to pre-order.
I followed the links and bought two upgrades for my two Parallels 2 installations. I received an email with my Parallels 3 activation codes a few minutes later.
Now I read that Parallels 3 has been released and I plan to download it in a few hours and install it (on one of my two Intel Macs) and use one of the activation keys. I expect no problems.
What have you guys done differently that you ran into communications problems? Parallels support people were never involved in my business transactions. About what exactly would I need to contact them? Buying licence keys and upgrading is fully automated, I think.
Parallels' support might be bad, but I have not really found better support anywhere else. Apple pretty much ignore emails sent to them, as do other software companies (except for the open source places for some reason).
But I never had a serious problem with Parallels 2. You might say that I simply didn't have the problems other people were having, but then I don't know what exactly could have gone wrong. Anything that did go wrong I solved with a reboot. After a few updates, those problems went away too.
My host systems:
iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, 2 GB, Mac OS X 10.4.9
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2 GHz, 2 GB, Mac OS X 10.4.9
Guest systems (no boot camp):
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows Vista
eComStation 1.1
SuSE Linux 10.1 (or 10.0, not sure)
FreeBSD 5 (or 6, not sure)
Minix 2 (or 3? only installed one of them as a test once)
Microsoft Windows XP migrated from Virtual PC 7
No major problems.