Parallels tools install fails - Parallels: 19.2.1, Ubuntu: 22.04.3 LTS, OSX: 12.6.6

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by StephenP14, Feb 22, 2024.

Tags:
  1. StephenP14

StephenP14 Bit poster

Parallels tools install fails - Parallels: 19.2.1, Ubuntu: 22.04.3 LTS, OSX: 12.6.6
    When I run install-gui to install parallels tools, as per the instructions, the install gets to 49% and then fails with the following message:
    "Restart the virtual machine and try again. etc etc".
    Followed the suggestions in this thread: https://forum.parallels.com/threads...s-and-why-it-stop-working.362913/#post-925585
    I get the same error messages in the log still:
    Code:
    2: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg
    3: 20240222
    4: 1.10.2
      CC [M]  /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o
    cc: error: unrecognized command-line option '-ftrivial-auto-var-init=zero'
    make[4]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:251: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o] Error 1
    make[3]: *** [/usr/src/linux-headers-6.5.0-18-generic/Makefile:2039: /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [Makefile:234: __sub-make] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-6.5.0-18-generic'
    make[1]: *** [Makefile:44: prl_tg] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg'
    make: *** [Makefile.kmods:54: compile] Error 2
    make: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods'
    Error: could not build kernel modules
    modprobe: FATAL: Module prl_tg not found in directory /lib/modules/6.5.0-18-generic
    modprobe: FATAL: Module prl_tg not found in directory /lib/modules/6.5.0-18-generic
    Error: failed to install Parallels Guest Tools!

I've attached the full error log to this post. Scrolling through it I see more than one message about a module not found.
    I did also see this thread which has a solution: https://forum.parallels.com/threads...lels-version-19-0-0-54570.361550/#post-920602

But that's on a different VM OS, so I don't know if it applies here and making changes like that are a bit over my skill level if something goes wrong.
    Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Best Answer
    Hello,

The issue has been fixed in the version 19.3 for ARM devices

Please update and let us know the result.

Thanks

3. StephenP14

StephenP14 Bit poster

Ok, I realized that I could make the symlinks, run the installer, and then remove them as a way to prevent some other thing in Ubuntu getting confused by the changes in the future.

So, that's what I did and with this process, the installer works properly!

4. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Best Answer
    Hello,

The issue has been fixed in the version 19.3 for ARM devices

Please update and let us know the result.

Thanks