Multiple Processor Support

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Specialmoves, May 31, 2007.

1. gordonprice67

gordonprice67 Bit poster

John,
    any idea on ETA for this stuff? Knowing it is coming in v4 does us no good if we don't know if v4 is 3 months out, or 3 years. I would also ask about openGL 2.1 support, DirectX 10 support, etc. I am using Parallels for a professional 3D architectural application (Autodesk Revit), and every ounce of power available on the machine is what I am looking to harness.

Thanks,
    Gordon

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Beta 4 will be available in a month or so
    Multicore will be supported from the begining,
    Other features will be available either from the begining or in subsequent builds
    For now I am not able to provide more information

3. hsdajr

hsdajr Bit poster

Re: Windows And Multiple Processor Support

I'm not current with regards to the internal structures of Windows 2000 on up , but I remember that in the NT4 days you had to specify during the NT install if you wanted multi-processor support. You'd have to reinstall NT4 if you wanted to go from single processor to multi-processor support. Is that still true for Windows 2000, XP, and Vista?

I ask because I have a specialized app that I use that has only been certified to run on Windows 2000 Server, and I'm wondering if I'll receive much improvement from just updating Parallels, or if I would have to reinstall Windows 2000 Server (which may or may not be an option - this program has a HORRID install, part automated, part manual, lots of knuckle-busting).

Thanks!
    Andy

4. RandallC

RandallC Bit poster

John,
    It seems that your competitors at VMWare are pulling ahead at the moment, especially in regard to the multi-core issue. I am sorry to say this, but if I have to pay an upgrade fee to get that feature (by purchasing version 4) I will have to seriously consider moving to the VMWare Fusion platform. You guys are lagging behind right now substantially, please keep us updated on your progress.

--Randall

5. RandallC

RandallC Bit poster

Hi John,
    Any updates on this?
    Thanks,
    --Randall

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Not yet, I will post notification, when there will be any news