Cannot install Parallels Tools on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by The Belgain, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stf

stf Bit poster

Welcome to the club! You will meet a lot of PD users in this forum who are disappointed that Ubuntu 8.04 still not work. An update for PD 3.0 is promised, but it's been going on for a couple of months. I'm an optimist. PD 3.0 will work with Ubuntu 8.04 somewhere in time. But I'm uncertain if PD 2.2 ever does.

I can't say what the upgrade policy for PD is, but my PD policy is as follows:

-> I will spent some time to wait until PD 3 works with Ubuntu 8.04. For that time I use VirtualBox instead.
    -> If the game starts over and the same goes on with Ubuntu 8.10, PD will leave my hard disk forever.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

3. wallenpb

wallenpb Bit poster

Found a working install

I found a working install of the Parallels Tools for Ubuntu 8 and some directions posted on an Ubuntu forum that was also discussing this issue. The link to the forum page is http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=751636&highlight=parallels . See the post on June 22 by hidden_premise. This particular install did work for me.
    John, would you look this one over and tell us what you think of this build of the Tools as to completeness, etc.? I would like it if some of the others on the forum here also tried this one out and report back what they think.

Thanks,
    wallenpb

4. fromans

fromans Member

Some fun facts:

-8 months have passed since this thread started.
    -5 months have passed since I last posted, got frustrated and went back to VirtualBox/Fusion for all my Mac VM needs.
    -3 months have passed since this thread promised a working build or at least working tools "soon".
    -8 days have passed since John said "I will ask is it possible to provide test build over here"

STILL NO WORKING PARALLELS TOOLS.

Next month there will be new releases of both Ubuntu and Fedora. Two popular mainstream Linux distros that still don't work correctly in Parallels, if at all.

On another front:
    -Parallels Workstation 2.2 had a major release in Dec. 2006. Yet they still advertise it as a cutting edge, leading application for all your Win/Lin VM needs. (And even minor maintenance releases won't compile in latest kernels)

I really feel sorry for the people who are throwing away $49 for a new license of an end-of-life product.

5. mattyparanoid

mattyparanoid Bit poster

4.0.5580 Beta is Posted to MacUpdate but still no update to version 3

Where is the update to version 3?

6. Leonard

Leonard Member

There is a beta 4.0 build available to open downloads via 3th party sites and the beta forum *here* has been closed since Dec 2007?!?

7. fromans

fromans Member

That must be a typo. It is linking to build 5608 which is PD 3 from back in June. Epic failure on their part again.

8. Bernhard.parallels

Bernhard.parallels Member

fromans,

But the description (e.g. 64-bit guest OS support) points to v4.

There must be something coming.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  9. emc2008

emc2008 Bit poster

virtualbox works great on the new linux kernels. I'm stil waiting for this since I have a parallels XP vm that is an approved corporate image I need for testing. Since ubuntu 7.04, I've been running parallels and virtualbox and VB is faster (and opensource)

10. wallenpb

wallenpb Bit poster

fraud

I give up! Parallels Workstation 2.2 is indeed an end of life product and for Parallels to sell it is a fraud. I am now steering my IT team away from the product. VirtualBox works much better. The VirtualBox guest additions (Tools) for Ubuntu 8.04 worked perfectly. I am on my XP Pro box right now, running Ubuntu 8.04 in VirtualBox 1.6.6. The seamless windowing mode in VirtualBox is fantastic! I know I have kissed my money good-bye with these jokers at Parallels. For that they can kiss my a$$ good-bye as well.

The rest of you need to go to www.virtualbox.org and get on with your lives and IT endeavors This company that is charging money for a known broken product is pathetic. They are just jerking us all around.

I am uninstalling my Parallels now. Good riddance to bad rubbish!

11. Ainvar

Ainvar Member

I am thinking the same thing. VB 1.x and also the new 2.x is an really nice product. I am not sure what is happening with this company or their product. They started out strong and full of steam. Now they seem to just be swimming in circles in some muddy water.

John - Why is your company jerking us around with this? Why is it you are putting all your eggs in one basket with PD 4.x and not making PD 3.x work like it should? Is your company going to give us a free upgrade to PD 4.x since your 2.x and 3.x product promises failed? You have under delivered on your promises of a working product in regards to this thread and other threads. You have failed in many ways in this product where vmware and virtualbox has passed you on the road and delivered on a working product. Are you not taking our concerns and what we have voiced seriously? You keep telling us to wait and wait and wait and wait. What is the holdup? I know coding is a difficult issue but you and your company knew this when making this product.

12. John@Parallels

I mentioned above that we have build in QA test, I will inform when tests are passed

13. lscovell

lscovell Bit poster

This has been a problem since Jan, and its now September... and that is not good enough!

Downloading virtualbox...

14. fromans

fromans Member

Bernhard.parallels,

No I'm afraid not. Check out this other thread. John confirmed 5608 IS the current build available. /sigh

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=121991#post121991

15. Wolf

Wolf Bit poster

..."Another day older and deeper in debt"...

Now Ubuntu 8.04 runs under Virtualbox...
    ...Windows will follow....
    so thank you for ... hmmm...

...for what ????

16. Ainvar

Ainvar Member

Goodbye................

I just said screw it and screw the parallels company as a whole. It has been uninstalled on my mac. I have also let my old manager know at City of Atlanta that they need to be using VMWare Fusion since they use VMWare ESX. Also for testing since it supports the same virtual disk we will be using VirtualBox. The few copies that were purchased can be used as needed but they will not be getting anymore money from them.

I am tired of being told it is in Q&A and that they are testing this and that............ This is not a school project or something for a thesis to get out of college. This is suppose to be a mature and full fledged product to do virtual images. I cant keep doing my work and postponing my projects due to empty promises and being told for days, weeks, & months. It is ridiculous that they cant get something to work when two other companies can make it work.

I feel for John as he is getting slammed by angry users/customers and I think is being strung along by his managers. He is but a middle man in this dance of fecal matter.

I am no longer going to pay this company another red cent. I have bought two versions and have had to wait for *BETA* builds to make things work.

Last post I do believe in this forums.

To all that read this, goodbye I will make sure the door knob does not hit me on the backend when I exit.

Also to all the users and to the small group of helpful people on this board thanks for making this product work like we were promised to. Also to the users who have not experienced any issues I am happy that this product works for you.
    But as a power user and needing access to my test images of windows, linux, unix, and anything else I want to load up. I think I need something more stable and a company that is more willing to get there products on the market.

Have a good weekend.

17. John@Parallels

Why you didn't try Parallels Server?

18. Wolf

Wolf Bit poster

Well, I bought Parallels Desktop with my money, you know, and guess what I do with a tool, that does not the job and will perhaps never - or someday - or who knows what?

And be honest, would you buy a car and then wait 9 month until you can drive a left curve?

What your company does, is at least unfair. So please, do not say something like that:

"Oh your car is down? Try a pick-up instead!"

I bought PD and I am a very calm and patient person, but that is normally a case for a court: You sell a product that does not work as you promised.

I think that explains, WHY I did not like the idea to use an other tool, when I have learned that a tool with this brand on, fails and fails and fails...

I hope you now understand my post...

Wolf

19. John@Parallels

I understand your frustration, and we apologize for inconvenience.
    Really, situation is the same, when I bought upgrade to Vista and just thrown it out, when I found my HP notebook, completely unusable, due to slowness.
    Nevertheless, I hope, I will be allowed to publish link to compatible build soon, so you will see, that we are not playing with customers, and understand our obligations.

20. phord

phord Bit poster

it's just redicoulus...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.