Don't have sound in XP.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Divi, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Divi

Divi Junior Member

Hi,
    I installed windows xp on parallels 4.0 (that I just bought days ago) and I have no sound.
    I tried using the system->device manager and left clicking for "scan for hardware changes" or whatever. I do have a yellow question mark called "multimedia audio controller" but it can't find a driver for it and the "scan for.." doesn't do any good either.
    I also tried installing drivers through "Add Hardware", no good.
    In control panel -> sounds and audio devices, it says "no audio device".

I would really love some help.

btw, in the parallels menu - I tried setting the sound to "Null" (it said that it helped in some forums) - again, doesn't help.

2. STim

STim Bit poster

That's weird. The workaround to search for hardware applies to upgraders, while you're on fresh installation.

Can you please browse to Help->Report a problem menu, send the report and post report # here? The report contains a lot of useful information about your VM configuration and some logs.

3. Divi

Divi Junior Member

My Id number (of the report file): 13548

4. STim

STim Bit poster

Something is wrong with your sound device configuration on VM side

1. Shut down your VM.
    2. Go to Virtual Machine->Configure menu
    3. Browse to Sound tab.
    4. Set up like on the picture attached.
    5. Start the VM.

Will Windows detect any changes in hardware?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  5. Divi

Divi Junior Member

still not working, sorry.
    and I tried this one before already.
    isn't there a driver I can download for windows that will work?

6. jweisbin

jweisbin Junior Member

I also don't have any sound, with a Windows XP image imported from Parallels 3 into P4. It cannot find a suitable Multimedia driver. You mentioned a "workaround" - where can I find that?

7. Divi

Divi Junior Member

Anyone there?
    it's quite urgent.

8. Clocknova

Clocknova Bit poster

I'm having a similar problem. I did manage to find drivers that will install and work, but the sound that is produced is stutters horribly. No solution as of yet.

9. Divi

Divi Junior Member

I still don't understand why the Parallels support team didn't respond to this.
    this problem needs to be fixed fast.

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

11. jweisbin

jweisbin Junior Member

I installed the upgrade to 3540, then re-imported the Parallels 3.0 image, still no sound. "Multimedia driver" can't be found.

12. estrelnikov

estrelnikov Parallels Team

I have created a ticket for you in our Request Tracker, its number is 627959.

Go to the following web-site:

https://support.parallels.com/

- click "Get access to Parallels RT"; afterwards, you'll be prompted to enter your registered email address and number of any of your support ticket and follow the on-screen instruction; enter the number of your ticket into the "search" field and you will be able to view the whole ticket history.

13. jweisbin

jweisbin Junior Member

Still no sound after following all of their instructions - mounted the parallels tools iso and the windows disk, seached both locations for the driver.

Perhaps someone can say WHAT driver we are looking for? In other words, what audio hardware is Parallels emulating? That would be helpful/

14. John@Parallels

Intel 82801 BA/BAM AC97

15. jweisbin

jweisbin Junior Member

Parallels sent me this:
    I ran the AC'97 installer and sound worked on reboot.

16. modronmarch

modronmarch Member

Generally, any problems with sound may be caused by Parallels Tools drivers failing to install properly. Here's what you need to do to re-install them:

-start your Virtual Machine, go to Start => Control Panel => Programs and features. Locate the Parallels Tools entry and uninstall it;

-shut down your VM, go to the Configuration Editor (Virtual Machine => Configure);

-go to CD/DVD-ROM 1. select the 'use image file' radiobutton. click 'Choose'. go to /Library/Parallels/Tools and open the 'prl-tools-win.iso' file. click 'Ok'. start your Virtual Machine;

-wait for Windows to boot completely. cancel any 'found new hardware' menus that pop up. go to Start => My Computer, right-click on the cd-rom icon (it should display the Parallels Tools logo) and select Autorun.

17. Divi

Divi Junior Member

I'm really sorry but it's still not working. tried reinstalling Parallels tools - not working, tried installing ac97 driver - only thing I get is noise coming out of my speakers instead of anything that's supposed to be played.
    I would love if you could open the request tracker thing for me as well.
    and any other offers will do.
    It's really urgent! I'm tied to my home PC (instead of my macbook) because of this.

18. John@Parallels

Remove sound device from device manager, remove any custom sound driver from VM, stop virtual Machine shut down Mac, start it, add sound device back, and start Virtual Machine.
    Do not start any application on Mac meanwhile

19. Divi

Divi Junior Member

did what you said, it recognized the ac97 on its own, installed it, there's sound coming out of the speakers, but it's noise. it's like they took the sound that's supposed to get out and replaced it with this awful chopped noise.
    I think there's something wrong in parallels now, dont think its a windows problem any more. it's like he can't translate the sound correctly or something. and btw, the sound coming out when I use osx - itunes and stuff is fine.

20. John@Parallels

Please submit report from Parallels Desktop - Help menu -selecting Report a Problem, and post here report ID