The Install Tips Thread

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by otoc, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otoc

otoc Member

I've gotten tired of reading through pages and pages to find a hint on dealing with a new install. Perhaps this thread can be one of solutions and not problem posts. To help this concept, if you have a problem with a tip post or have an install issue, then create a new thread until someone can verify and come up with a solution. I think it is best to state your hardware and software before stating your tip. That way, different configs designed for each user can be quickly found.

Here are mine for BootCamp and WinXP Pro SP3 using Parallels 4.0.3810 (1/23/09 build or 23/1/09 for non US readers).
    Hardware--
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
    SMC Version: 1.16f8

Boot Camp Prep
    Prepare that install by making sure it runs correctly. Why bring problems into your Parallels VM?

I've found Winclone to be great when a BootCamp partition got whacked and started causing corruption. Now I first back up BootCamp after a good install -- then after the following steps are done -- I create the VM based on the BootCamp partition.
    --When you have problems, try using the BootCamp Asst to delete the partition and start over again. Make sure you have a cloned backup.
    --I've had no issues using the built in Windows ntfs conversion for a smaller Fat32 partition when getting a larger drive. You'll need that if you go over the Fat32 partition size. Don't worry about checking the setup in the Disk Utility after having the BootCamp Asst make a large partition size, for it will say it's Fat32. Once you either install a new Windows operating system and partition it as ntfs or clone a ntfs backup, the ntfs partition will take hold.
    --Nor have I had problems migrating to a new and larger hard drive on my laptop. All thanks to the free Winclone. It saved me a reinstall. For the MacOS partition, I used SuperDuper after removing the BootCamp partition.
    --Make sure the BootCamp drivers are properly running and you are using v2.1. Reinstall the 2.1 BootCamp drivers if you are having problems. See if that helps. If you uninstall the BootCamp drivers you will need the 10.5 install DVD to first install the 2.0 version berfor the 2.1 update. Check the device manager to make sure everything is running with proper drivers.
    --In BootCamp, run a drive utility to correct any file errors and then defrag.
    --Use TweakUI (a MS Powertoy) to set the "login" to auto with the password set if windows opens to the login screen for a password. That prevents the Parallels auto install from freezing which makes you have to break into manual with the four finger salute of Ctrl-Option-Command-R. The install must have windows open to the desktop to correctly run based on my experience.
    --Turn off all anti-virus programs that monitor script behavior. That will freeze the auto install too.
    --If you have Parallels Tools installed, use the Windows "Add Remove Software" control panel app while running in BootCamp to uninstall it.
    --Boot into MacOS and back the BootCamp partition up in Winclone to save all this work.

Now you are ready.

Parallels Install
    --Open up Parallels and delete the VM if this is a reinstall. Use the delete files option.
    --On the first start Parallels opens VM Setup Asst. At the "Operating System Detection" screen select "Skip Detection", make your OpSys selection on the next, and on the next screen select "Custom" so you choose the BootCamp partition.
    --Run through all the remaining screens with your selected options.
    --When the last screen asks if you want to run it, SAY NO for there are more options available elsewhere. (Figure almost every time you make configuration changes to the VM you will most likely have to uninstall Tools and then reinstall. So it's best not to allow Parallels to start up Windows at this point for it will install Tools automatically)
    --Now you can click on the configuration button and have all the options available to set your VM up. Go through each setting on the left and make your choices. Click "OK".
    --Now "Start" the VM.
    --Note: If you have run out of activation 'points' with Windows, it will freeze the auto install. If you see the progress bar stop for 2-5 minutes, then use Ctrl-Option-Command-R to break into manual mode and you will probably see the MS "You have to activte" window. You might find you have no mouse or network capabilities for this has stopped the Parallels install at a early point. I've found the keyboard works on a laptop (don't know about towers with USB keyboards) and have been able to go through all the steps with a friendly call center rep from India via the telephone using the "Tab", arrows, and "Enter" keys. Try it. You'll see field and button changes if this method is successful.
    --After the auto install completes and Windows starts up, the cpu will probably be burning hot. Shut down Windows and Parallels, and Restart the Mac.
    --Go back and start your VM. Decide if you want the Kaspersky Anti-Virus installed.
    --Let the VM sit for a while to allow all the prefetching to be done.
    --Change your login options back in Tweak UI, and activate your Anti-Virus (script blocking program) if you had shut it down.

Works for me, and I've tried everything in the past to the point of having to call India for permission to run windows. No high cpu, a quick Windows start. I'm actually pretty happy with V4 aside from a few quirks.

One last tip. When tools is properly installed, you will always see a sprocket icon on the lower right of the window, even before you start the VM. If you get a warning on the bottom of the screen that Parallels Tools is not installed then you are not operating correctly. I've run for months not realizing that because after windows starts up the notice goes away and the Parallels Menu bar may only say 'Reinstall Tools' instead of 'Install'. I've gotten the high cpu issues with that one thinking Tools was fully installed when it really wasn't.

Now I don't expect this to work for everyone nor do I think this is the only way. That's the purpose of the thread if it takes hold. Solutions to try without the baggage of multiple pages of troubleshooting. Been there, read that...

Any other tips out there? For example, how's Acronis working out?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  2. otoc

otoc Member

Another couple of possible tips before I hit the road.

Repair and defrag BootCamp while actually running Windows and not the VM.

Don't forget to defrag the Mac drive, I've seen improvements when Parallels gets split up.

If you use ntfs-3g, you might want to turn it off before running Parallels. Besides not needing it, my gut reaction is that it slows the vm down because of overhead and duplication. I tend to use ntfs-3g only when I need to write a file onto the ntfs BootCamp partition and turn it off when I'm done. It's a great program but when you are doing disk intensive things like copying, cloning, or even defragging the MacOS, it seems to slow the work down a bit. It would be nice to see benchmarks to quantify that qualitative feeling. Either way, it turns switches back and forth on the fly since it sits on top of the MacOS and is much faster for a quick file access on the ntfs partition as opposed to starting up Parallels.

As far as setting up the VM, I tend to be very selective and only use what I really need. No sharing of apps because I have both Mac and PC apps, just clipboard and drag and drop (watch that first time popup carefully---'no' means you can still drag and drop while yes means sharing gets turned on also.)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  3. Flagg

Flagg Hunter

otoc,

Thank you for the contribution! I am making this a sticky.

4. otoc

otoc Member

Thanks Flagg, I added links and made some editorial corrections for clarity since this thread apparently won't fall from the first page. ;)

With my BootCamp XP Pro VM, I don't use shared folders or apps, but I see the Parallels Shared folder keep coming up even after manual deletion (My Computer/Windows C:/Documents and Settings/"each user account"/Start Menu/Parallels Shared Folders). I now consider part of my install process to go into (XP Pro running) the 'Network Connections', double click the Parallels Ethernet Adapter, go to 'Properties', and uncheck 'Parallels Shared Folders'. This seems to prevent the Parallels Shared folders from popping up in the Start Menu/Programs listing. Again, all I use is drag and drop.

THIS IS BEING TESTED AND MAY BE PULLED FROM MY LIST> WHILE IT PREVENTED THE SHARED APPLICATION FOLDER FROM COMING UP IN THE START/PROGRAM LIST, I HAD A NETWORK DRIVER CORRUPTION THAT MADE NETWORK CHANGES TO THE VM IRRATIC AND CAUSED BOOTCAMP TO HANG ON A STARTUP. I WAS ABLE TO UNINSTALL TOOLS IN BOOTCAMP BUT EACH ATTEMPT AT CREATING A NEW VM FROM THAT PARTITION HUNG UP AT THE INSTALL OF THE NETWORK DRIVERS. I HAD TO UNINSTALL PARALLELS AND REINSTALL IT.

UNTIL I HAVE TIME TO DUPLICATE WHAT I DID AND FIGURE OUT IF IT WAS THIS OR ANOTHER NETWORK ISSUE THAT BROUGHT THIS ON, I'M GOING TO NOT DO THIS.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  5. jazzizgreat

jazzizgreat Member

Hi otoc

Thank you for your detailed instructions, great job.

Why is it necessary though to install Bootcamp before installing Parallels? I don't recall installing Bootcamp when I installed 3.0 (build 5604) some time ago.

At the moment 3.0 is working OK for me and interested in upgrading to 4.0 but hesitant because I had some problems reinstalling in the past. I recall having to remove all related Parallel files because the new installation apparently does not remove them.

In the event that I decide to upgrade, should I just follow your instructions or is there more to do when upgrading?

Would I need to re-actvate Windows ?

6. otoc

otoc Member

You're welcome. This wasn't meant as an end all. I was actually hoping for others with different hardware/VM arrangements to chime in with their procedures.

I'm afraid I don't understand. If you are going to use a Bootcamp install as the guest operating system, it needs to be installed first. Regardless, my main point to make is for users to know firsthand that the BootCamp install is working properly before making it a VM guest. That's to simplify any possible troubleshooting.

I'm assuming you mean the change from v2 to v3. Each version of Parallels must be viewed as a unique entity due to all the changes they made.

There was an issue on the first release of v4 on upgrades. I've tried by way of fully uninstalling all remaining files (after a Parallels uninstall) on both v3 and v4 various upgrade paths. Both a fresh install of v4 and an upgrade to v4 from v3. Since the last version change, I found the upgrade works fine at this point if you follow my tips. That assumes similar hardware,etc. I can't speak for other configs (hint, hint, to those with success stories--please share).

I put every trick I used in that post. The biggest issues at this point are user accounts and anti-virus programs stopping the auto update in midstep.

Yes. I even put tips on how to do it without mouse support as I had to do since I used up all my points with all the reinstalls of Parallels.

7. GrantL

GrantL Bit poster

Make sure you have a legit copy of Ms windows otherwise there is a new "Genuine Microsoft Windows" dialogue Windows introduces that cause the automatic conversion process to hang at Step 2 and 3, probably because it is unanticipated the automatic upgrade process.

8. jazzizgreat

jazzizgreat Member

I had/ have a legit copy of Windows XP installed (and activated) with version 3.0.

I got version 3.0 working perfectly some time ago and have recently upgraded to version 4.0 which went ok, except that I now seem to have many backups of the VM.

I compared my Parallels folder to a friend's and mine has an extra folder called Microsoft Windows XP (Backup) with countless sub folders.

What is this indicative of ?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  9. yanshengh

yanshengh Bit poster

well,it is hard to say

10. yanshengh

yanshengh Bit poster

well,it is cool

11. jazzizgreat

jazzizgreat Member

Solved the problem with the long file name !

Why I have all these backup files I don't know, but as it turns out they are not required.

I just simply moved the folder "Microsoft Windows XP (backup)" with all it's countless sub folders to trash and Parallels works just fine without it.

12. Macaby

Macaby Member

Unable to install 4.0.3846

I'm running Snow Leopard with Parallels for Mac. I was on yesterday and checked for updates. The update did download, but it fails in the installation. I get up a box that states roughly "package will run a program to determine if software can be installed".

After that program runs, the next window appears to be the "kickoff" window for the installation, but it only stays on screen for about a second and the disappears before I can start the installation.

Now I seem to be in an install loop as I get the same process repeatedly on an intermittent schedule. I would either like to dump the installation or get it to complete as I'm getting tired of the "LOOP."

13. zcakc19

zcakc19 Bit poster

Boot camp or Parallel HELP!!!

Hi, Im new to macbook.

Installed windows last week on my macbook on parallel trial. I was using it for a new job so needed to download some windows application. I ran it in coherent mode which seemed to be affected the overall performance of the macbook. Any way it crashed, and the mac was unable to load up! According to the apple guys the hardware was probably corrupted as the mac was not reading it! I blame it on installing windows on parallels.

May also like to mentioned I installed windows xp and various signs did pop up regarding if the windows was genuine. Could this have been the problem?

Any how Iv just bought a new harddrive and the 10.6 snow leopard OS . Now i still need a few applications that can only be run in windows and being new mac user Im unsure whether to get parallel or bootcamp. I don't want my overall performance of my mac to be affected.

Also do parallel provide anti virus software for free for windows? then that would be a plus.

Help much appreciated!!

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
    SMC Version (system): 1.13f3
    Serial Number (system): 5C64634CWGL
    Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F2F16CE2
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

14. zcakc19

zcakc19 Bit poster

Does any body know If a windows corruption would affect the mac side? as in would I be able to access my mac OS even tho the windows side is corrupt?

15. otoc

otoc Member

A suggestion based on the recent posts.

The purpose of this thread was for users to share tips that aid an installation and prevent a long thread with lots of unrelated troubleshooting. At least that's how I saw it.

If you have a problem, please start a new thread with a title specific to your problem. This helps people find similar issues and solutions in future searches and also places your issue on top.

Mods, could you delete the comment spammer who posted twice with the watch links?

16. ScottNYC

ScottNYC Bit poster

An update was released today, but when I go to "check for updates" it tells me I have the latest version. Any ideas why its doing this or how to fix it?

17. herwin

herwin Bit poster

When I reach the frozen autoinstall due to the "You have to activate" window, I find neither my keyboard nor mouse works. I have a MacBook Pro with USB keyboard and trackpad. I have a USB mouse and a magic mouse. Nothing works. I have to hit the power switch to escape. This was a problem with Parallels 4.0 and continues to be a problem with 5.0.

18. otoc

otoc Member

How about someone doing a V5 install tip post?

It sure would be nice to see someone take the time and post their successful steps and tips regarding a version 5 install to keep this thread helpful for others.

19. Sergeyt

Sergeyt Parallels Developers

... I find neither my keyboard nor mouse works.

Hi herwin,
    If your virtual machine is frozen you can ungrab your keyboard and mouse when press Ctrl + Alt keys on keyboard.

If it doesn't help and you can't ungrab your keyboard and mouse - take problem report after restart and post report ID here. It helps us to understand and resolve your problem.

(How to send report: Parallels Menu --> Help --> Report a Problem )

Thanks.

20. Mark Cohen

Mark Cohen Bit poster

Hi folks: I have a very nicely configured parallels VM running XP. I would like to run this same configuration in boot camp as well. Is there a way to do this or do I have to re-install everything from scratch on a new bootcamp partition. That is, can I go ahed and install boot camp, for example, and then migrate my VM configuration over? Thanks for any advice/help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.