hardware virtualization support is disabled on the host computer.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by supermans, Sep 14, 2010.

1. supermans

supermans Bit poster

I'm trying to install windows 7 with parallels 6 and I get this error:
    "The virtual machine performance may be degraded because the hardware virtualization support is disabled on the host computer.
    It is recommended to enable the hardware virtualization support in BIOS settings."

When I say to start it anyway, it gives me this error: "PRL_ERR_OPERATION_FAILED"

2. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

You can't use virtualization (Windows XP in Windows 7) inside virtualization (Parallels Desktop in Mac OS X). Maybe VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox might support it (I haven't checked) but there would be problems.

If you're not trying to use Windows XP in Windows 7 in Parallels Desktop, then the problem is with your Mac. What kind of Mac are you trying to install on? What version is the firmware? Is there a later version of the firmware?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

3. supermans

supermans Bit poster

Hello, I didn't realize I was trying to use virtualization in another virtualization. I just want to use it how it's supposed to be used. I got Parallels, then it asked me which windows to use, I told it which one. Then I pressed start, which is when the problem starts.
    And here is my computer model:
    Early '08 Macbook Pro
    Model: MacBookPro4,1
    Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.27f2

4. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

Did the error message come from Windows or from Parallels? I assumed Windows because it mentions BIOS settings and Macs don't have BIOS settings to change. If the message came from Parallels then the error message should be changed.

It looks like you have the latest firmware.

Can you post a screen shot of the error?

Do you have any other virtual machines running?

Is the problem with just installing Windows 7 or any operating system? You could try a new virtual machine using Linux (Ubuntu 10.04 for example) as a quick test.

You could try uninstalling Parallels Desktop 6 and then install it again.

If you are unable to solve this problem you should probably use the Report a Problem option in the Help menu when the BIOS error message appears or when the PRL_ERR_OPERATION_FAILED message appears.

5. supermans

supermans Bit poster

6. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

The message "One or more kernel components loaded on your Mac are for another version of Parallels Desktop" is interesting.

Have you used an earlier version of Parallels before on the computer?

Try uninstalling Parallels again. Then restart. Then go into Terminal.app and run the following command to list any running Parallels kernel extensions that are loaded:
    kextstat | grep parallels

Parallels installs the following kexts:
    Code:
    Parallels 3:

/Library/Parallels/StartupItems/Parallels:
    		Pvsvnic.kext

/System/Library/Extensions:
    		ConnectUSB.kext
    		hypervisor.kext
    		Pvsnet.kext
    		vmmain.kext

Parallels 4, 5, 6:

/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Frameworks/Kexts:
    		prl_hid_hook.kext
    		prl_hypervisor.kext
    		prl_netbridge.kext
    		prl_usb_connect.kext
    		prl_vnic.kext

Make sure they don't exist after you uninstall.

Run Activity Monitor, show all processes, and make sure you don't see any process names that start with prl_

Make sure you're not running an old Parallels Desktop app after installing a new Parallels Desktop app (which might happen if you have more than one partition with Mac OS X installed). If you're running it from the Dock then select Show in Finder. If you're running it from an alias, then right click and select Show Original. Then Get Info.

7. supermans

supermans Bit poster

Yay! That worked, thank you!
    I went into activity monitor and saw a program with the prl_ so I closed that. Then I went into terminal and put in that command. It showed this:

70 0 0x5bbf1000 0x4000 0x3000 com.parallels.kext.prl_usb_connect (4.0 3522.205912) <37 7 5 4 3>
    107 0 0x5bd58000 0x3000 0x2000 com.parallels.kext.prl_hid_hook (4.0 3522.205912) <7 5 4 3 1>
    108 0 0x5c073000 0x8d000 0x8c000 com.parallels.kext.prl_hypervisor (4.0 3522.205912) <11 7 5 4 3 1>
    109 0 0x5c044000 0x7000 0x6000 com.parallels.kext.prl_netbridge (4.0 3522.205912) <5 4 3 1>
    110 0 0x5bedf000 0x5000 0x4000 com.parallels.kext.prl_vnic (4.0 3522.205912) <85 4 3>
    clarke:~ Clarke$

After I uninstalled Parallels again, all that went away. Reinstalled it again, and now it's working great. I guess the problem was that prl_ running in the activity monitor. So thanks for the help, joevt!

8. AlexAustralia

AlexAustralia Bit poster

Hi, I am having the same problems. Mine is a download upgrade license. I have done all of the above but it seems to still not work. I have been trying many different combinations to the point where I downloaded appcleaner to delete any related folders and then make sure the prl_ files no longer appeared. I then reinstalled version 6. It still does not work.

I am getting really sick of this - obviously parallels has released a update full of bugs!

For reference I am trying to install this on my iMac 27 - i5 with 8gig of ram.

Can someone from parallels please sort this out. I rely on this for work and it should not be this complicated to install a virtual machine.

9. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

What does it do when it does not work? Check the console log for errors during install.

10. AlexAustralia

AlexAustralia Bit poster

When I install the version 6 as a fresh install or either upgrade from version 4 they both work fine. It is only when I go to create a virtual machine that I get the same errors as everyone else. It will not load the windows files.

Do you want to know the logs when I load parallels or the windows virtual machine?

11. joevt

joevt Forum Maven

I think you need to be more specific on the errors that you are getting.

What do you mean by Windows files? Parallels Tools? or Windows itself?

12. rkulikov

rkulikov Parallels Developers

Please, provide /var/log/install.log from your Mac. Let's see what went wrong.

13. mobilerah

mobilerah Bit poster

Same issue

Purchased the upgrade and now system does not work.

Tried all the suggestions and no luck....

This is not my normal experience with Parallels so I hope this gets resolved...

14. rkulikov

mobilerah, did you try to remove Parallels Desktop completely and reinstall it again?

15. ddzzrrd

ddzzrrd Bit poster

Also experiencing this problem with version 6. I completely uninstalled my old Parallels and installed this new one and experience this problem.

Intel core 2 duo iMac
    OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

16. ddzzrrd

ddzzrrd Bit poster

I'm experiencing this exact same problem and I removed EVERYTHING and reinstalled it all and still get this problem.

17. rainwolf

rainwolf Bit poster

I too have this problem. But I use the following emergency "fix": after a reboot I reinstall P6, and usually the installer does not ask me to restart at the end. Then I don't get the abovementioned error message and the VM performs ever so sweet... until the next reboot.
    Good thing reinstalling only takes a minute or so.

18. rkulikov

ddzzrrd, rainwolf,

can you send problem report from Parallels Desktop? (menu "Help" -> "Report a Problem") Also content of /var/log/install.log would be very helpful.

19. rkulikov

Those who experience this problem please let me know version and build number.

I suppose that such issue may appear when upgrading to version 6 from version 4 build 3810 or elder. There's KB article which should help to solve problem in this case: http://kb.parallels.com/en/6317.

20. rainwolf

rainwolf Bit poster

rkulikov, this did the trick for me, awesome.