Disk Read Error Message

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by NikkiC, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

Make commands within .pvm bundle. For example:
    cd /Users/user/Documents/Parallels/Windows7.pvm/windows\ vista-0.hdd
    ls -lh

2. tcbailey239

tcbailey239 Bit poster

Sorry...

total 7358064
    -rwx------ 1 11768 staff 1.2k Feb 5 12:55 DiskDescriptor.xml
    -rwx------ 1 11768 staff 1.6k Feb 5 12:55 DiskDescriptor.xml.Backup
    -rwx------ 1 11768 staff 0b Nov 27 2009 Windows Vista-0.hdd
    -rwx------ 1 11768 staff 3.5G Feb 7 09:43 Windows Vista-0.hdd.0.{5fbaabe3-6958-40ff-92a7-860e329aab41}.hds
    -rwx------ 1 11768 staff 15k Feb 4 22:17 Windows Vista-0.hdd.drh

3. Stuw

Thanks. I'll try to compare this sizes with log from the problem report.

4. StaceOz

StaceOz Bit poster

I haven't resolved but I restored the original virtual machine file from TimeMachine and that is working fine.

5. MileneG

MileneG Bit poster

I have this same problem, iam new on MAC OS. I have a MacBook Pro with Parallels 6 with windows 7 in it. It worked for a month and now it is not working. My ticket number 1133107 and the request number is 93903-07031. Please help me.
    How do I do this that you wrote?: "Try to remove created Bootcamp VM in Parallels Desktop 6 and after that create it again and try to boot."

6. StaceOz

StaceOz Bit poster

Do you have regular backups through TimeMachine on the Mac? If so, I suggest you locate a copy of the virtual machine file (extension of .vrm) from sometime before it stopped working, rename the .vrm file (probably in folder \Documents\Parallels) to a newname.vrm, then restore the copy you found in TimeMachine to the Parallels folder and try starting with that. I did that when I originally had the problem and haven't had a recurrence since.

7. Stuw

1. Removing a Virtual Machine from the List: http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v6/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/30109.htm
    2. Create a Boot Camp Virtual Machine: http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v6/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/23112.htm

8. MileneG

MileneG Bit poster

Hi, I work with windows and MAC same time...is that what I need to do? Thank you.

9. Stuw

If your bootcamp VM doesn't boot, you need to re-create this VM (usually it resolves the problem).
    If ordinary VM won't boot, try to use recovery console from Windows installation CD (see links to KB in previous posts).

10. Cromdubh

Cromdubh Bit poster

Disk error read message

Dear aa,
    I seem to be reading from the same hymnbook as these chaps.
    ID no 9468452.

added device.hdd.error=1 as suggested

no change.

I used Parallels for just one application, "Root Magic" which may very well be lost.

if the situation is irretrievable, let me know and I'll uninstall.
    Thank you

Tom Johnson

11. Cromdubh

Cromdubh Bit poster

Disk read error

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but I really would like to know if anybody has managed to get up and going with their Parallels Desktop (and hopefully contents intact) after getting this error message.
    It seems to me that it has happened quite a few people, who like me seem to have gone around in ever decreasing circles followed by silence!!
    Is it they have just given up rather than having the problem solved?

12. Cromdubh

Cromdubh Bit poster

Disk read error, partial success.

I gave up on all the possible combinations for getting the virtual machine to fire up.
    Found the bumph to create a new Virtual Machine, I now have an XP-1 VM .
    Yes I found the code!!
    It works. One can only wonder about why the original packed in.
    Took all day to get the updates , but that's OK.
    One thing I would appreciate is some File Management help.
    The main reason I have this VM is to run a "Roots Magic" application, which, as you can imagine, is chock full of data.
    I was backing up, but not to an external device.
    I have the original WindowsXP.pvm file.
    Where in it's contents could I look for this application and hopefully it's data.
    Would moving this info to the new Virtual machine, be as easy as dragging it to the new WindowsXP-1.pvm file?

13. eric@beacon

eric@beacon Bit poster

Problem Solved!

I had this same problem today: "A disc read error occurred press ctrl+alt+dlt to restart"

I think my .pvm file somehow got corrupted. All I did was go into time machine to recover the .pvm file from when it was working properly and that did the trick.

14. Cromdubh

Cromdubh Bit poster

Solution

I probably was a bit hasty, that solution looks the business now in retrospect.
    I got totally brassed off, especially with the feeble attempts at "support' for a problem that was effecting quite a lot of people.
    Pulled the plug, blood pressure and pulse settled down, felt much better.
    lost some data on a project that I had to run on windows, but what the heck.
    I decided that any program, no matter how brilliant, which tries to convince another OS that it is something it is not, is a grenade ready for the pin to be pulled.

15. Cromdubh

Cromdubh Bit poster

Solution

Now that i think of it, i believe I had it set up not to use Time Machine.
    I think it was adding the entire disc content each time rather than just any changes.

16. CCurtis

CCurtis Bit poster

Disk read error - Parallels 5

I'm completely new to this forum, and realize that I'm posting related to P5 rather than P6, but given the appropriateness of the thread title, didn't want to just launch off and create a new one and look like I hadn't tried to find something related. Apologies in advance, and if I should just create a new thread and edit this response out, someone please let me know.

= = =

I am unable to start my primary VM, getting a pop-up error message "Unable to delete the snapshot / An error occurred while reading the disk." This is a critical problem for me, and any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I am apt to be forced to proceed to purchasing support, but community help would be great. Thanks in advance.

I filed a problem report yesterday (12/16/11) which has iD 11726513, but I just generated a new problem report [11734561] because I realized that I had relocated the log and snapshot information during debugging and they might not have been included.

I am running Parallels 5 on a mid-2010 i5 iMac with 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD.

The configuration has been running fine for months and months. The VM is 3GB RAM, 256MB video. Disk size is (I think) 200GB. OS is Win7. I am not using File Vault and am not backing up the virtual machine files with Time Machine. I should note that I =can= start and successfully use a separate VM (which unfortunately does NOT include my critical data -- Murphy's Law), so I'm workng on the assumption that the problem is probably with the HDD file or associated state information rather than with Parallels itself. Since I can't get as far as booting the VM, I haven't tried the bootrec tip -- I'm getting the impression that I need to change the boot order for the VM, then boot from a W7 installation CD and go from there. Confirmation of that (which may be intuitively obvious to everyone else) would be appreciated.

Settings did include snapshots every 2 hours, limit of 10, and there were 10. Based on much Google searching (and being unable to find anything in the forums, to which I am new), I've tried turning off snapshots, increasing the number allowed so that it shouldn't be trying to delete one, temporarily relocating the snapshots.xml and snapshots folder to the desktop. (All with quitting and restarting parallels itself.) As a result of this thread, I also tried the boot flag suggestion. None of these helped. I also encountered the same error trying to delete the oldest snapshot. Trying to restore to a prior snapshot produces an error message that "An error occurred while reading the disk."

There was a suggestion somewhere that this message could result from running out of space on the Mac disk itself. I have nearly 70GB free, which is more than what is displayed as the minimum required to make a snapshot.

17. YanaYana

YanaYana

Please use kb.parallels.com - you can find a lot helpful info there.
    so here is what can help you: http://kb.parallels.com/en/9165
    (i remember you have PD5 - it should work for you as well).
    Just merge snapshots and check the issue.

18. CCurtis

CCurtis Bit poster

More on snapshot / VM startup problem

YanaYana - Thanks. In desperation prior to seeing this, I upgraded to P7. Still encountering hypothetical disk errors. Filed new problem report under P7 - see 11817414. I =have= spent several hours on Google and the parallels KB, bud did not find anything contributory. I'll try the steps recommended in the article to which you pointed me, but I'd observe that (a) this refers to trying to compress the disk, which is not my case; (b) previous attempts even to =delete= snapshots were unsuccessful.

19. CCurtis

CCurtis Bit poster

Using prl_disk_tool merge

Clayton-Curtis-iMac:~ Clayton$ cd /Users/Clayton/Documents/Parallels/DadzBlueBox\ Win7.pvm
    Clayton-Curtis-iMac:DadzBlueBox Win7.pvm Clayton$ prl_disk_tool merge --hdd DadzBlueBox\ Win7.hdd
    Operation progress 13520 %

(hangs there...)

20. YanaYana

YanaYana

I know this is about the compression - the root cause is the same as in your case - unable to delete a snapshot.
    So i suggest you to run
    chkdsk /f
    on your virtual harddisk and try the terminal commands from KB one more time