Build 6.0.12106

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AngieK, Sep 29, 2011.

1. AngieK

AngieK Bit poster

I'm using Parallels 6 on my desktop machine, and running OS 10.5.8.
    I kept getting pop-up messages about Parallels Build 6.0.12106, so yesterday I finally allowed it to download and install.

Now Parallels can't load at all. When I start Parallels, I get this:
    "Your virtual machine may run slow because virtualization support is disabled on your Mac.
    For optimal performance, please enable hardware virtualization support in your Mac's firmware."

So I click "OK" and get this:
    "Unable to load the Parallels driver. Restart your Mac and try again."

Restart does no good. I'm now finding out that Build 6.0.12106 is intended to improve performance with Lion.
    Why would I get messages asking me to download it when I'm not running Lion?

And more important, what do I do now?
    - Buy a reload for my former version of Parallels 6?
    - Upgrade to Lion? (Snow Leopard first?)

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. KenJohnson

KenJohnson Bit poster

Same issue

Running 10.5.8 on PowerMac. Parallels kept nagging about an upgrade so I downloaded it. Current version is 6.0.12106 Now I get the same messages as the poster above.

Parallels - Please fix and issue an update. I don't need version 7, 6 is (was) fine.

3. AngieK

AngieK Bit poster

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

4. PiersB

PiersB Bit poster

I am having the same problem.

Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Parallels 6 Build 6.0.12106.

Cannot start Parallels, displaying the same error messages as the original post.

If I reboot my Mac I do manage to eventually launch Parallels and start my W7 virtual machine. Does take a few reboots though.

5. AngieK

AngieK Bit poster

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

6. Perpendiculars

Perpendiculars Bit poster

Same problem here. :(

Build 6.0.12106

OSX 10.5.8

Mac Pro 2x2.8 quad core Xeon

"Your virtual machine may run slow because virtualization support is disabled on your Mac."

Tried that, didn't work.

I resisted upgrading Parallels and OSX because of nagging problems like this. But eventually one has to upgrade the OS for other software, so I was forced to upgrade from a nicely functioning Parallels 4 to Parallels 6. Now, more wasted time chasing problems every time there's an OS update or Parallels update.

--Frustrated

7. Perpendiculars

Update:

I deleted PD6 using the uninstaller in the .dmg file. Then reinstalled PD6 and Windows XP and it's back working again.

8. DeShawnB

DeShawnB Hunter

9. Perpendiculars

That article doesn't explain how to uninstall & reinstall Parallels.

10. RobAnd

RobAnd Bit poster

Can someone from the Parallels Team please post an update/fix for this issue as soon as possible? A link to a page that (a) refers to the wrong version of the operating system and (b) doesn't explain the fix suggested doesn't cut it.

Thanks,

Rob/.

11. phatpat

phatpat Bit poster

Same problem here. Actually a little different.

I'm on 10.5.8 and just installed 6.0.12.106

I can boot up my VM and even login in, but as soon as I try to interact with anything in Windows Parallels crashes.
    I know this configuration is out of date, both in OS X and Parallels, but some help would definitely be appreciated.

12. JesterbeanA

JesterbeanA Banned

If im having problems with Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Parallels 6 Build 6.0.12106. I can't run parallels is there ways in foxing this? I've contact the customer service. [​IMG]

13. phatpat

phatpat Bit poster

I gave up on getting support and just re-installed my old version of parallels. Here is what I did:

-Opened up the DMG I found on my computer for Parallels 6.0.12094
    -Clicked Uninstall, kept all the default settings, and let it run. This did not remove my existing Windows Installation, just the application.
    -Clicked Install within the same DMG, let it run. One note, when I went to install it told me there was a new version available, and asked me if I wanted to download that. I said no.

That's it. Seems to be working much better now. It had to reinstall Parallels Tools, but haven't had to reactivate or enter any installation keys.

14. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

I think your issue is because you're using an older Mac OS.

On my Mac Air I'm using 10.7.2 (Lion) and installed Parallels 6.0.12094 then Windows 7 (64bit) as my VM. With only 4 GB RAM I'm doing everything I want to do and more.

Like you I kept getting the update to 6.0.12106 and since it was to fix some things I wasn't using I didn't want to mess with something that's working fine. The only thing I kept reading was the added USB support in Lion. Since I do have to be clicking on devices every time I want to use the printer for the Mac side or the windows side I thought maybe this update would address this.

Well it didn't do anything about not having to manually choose the USB devices between Mac and Windows but more importantly I now have :

Updated 6.0.12106 (Revision 692267 SEPT 7, 2011)
    it didn't mess up my system and
    Everything is working the same as before the update.

Now I have my next hurdle : upgrading to Parallels 7 since I have a free copy (I bought 6 after August1).

15. djlsomesortofnickname

djlsomesortofnickname Bit poster

USB driver issue

I'm not getting the same error message as you describe. Instead, I'm getting another driver error message.

I did the update to 6.0.12106 this evening, and now each time a VM window opens, Parallels complains that it is "Unable to find the Parallels driver for USB devices". It helpfully suggests to "Try to reinstall Parallels Desktop". Although the VM indicates that Parallels Tools is out of date, it presents a warning in Windows, "Unable to download the installation package." Manually selecting Update Parallels tools from the menu has the same result.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Parallels 6 twice now, but to no effect. The quality of the experience is not enhanced by re-booting in "Safe" boot mode on the Mac (otherwise the installer progress bar doesn't complete).

I'd be inclined to upgrade, in the possibly vain hope that someone has done a better job on v7. But in the Amazon reviews there seems to be some concern with ongoing problems and lack of support. I've had mostly trouble since upgrading from v.5, and from the looks of things here there are way more questions than answers.

Mac OS 10.6.8, 2011 MacBook Pro 13 with 8 GB RAM.

16. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

You're not running Lion are you? I think that could be one of the problems. I've noticed that the people who are having problems with the update, that said it was to add USB support in Lion, aren't running Lion so that must be one of the reasons.

Another thing I noticed you mentioned was Tools. After the update you MUST update Tools although it should have done it automatically right after the update, mine did but I'm running Lion. See if Tools needs to be updated.

Finally go to UTILITIES > DISK UTILITY > and then on your drive click on Verify Disk Permissions. I went ahead and clicked on Repair Disk Permissions to save time because if Verify finds anything you'll click on Repair and if there's nothing wrong Repair won't harm anything.

17. djlsomesortofnickname

Can you explain what you mean about "add USB support in Lion"? Is this something Apple did or Parallels did -- is it a product enhancement of some sort in Parallels?

I've tried several times to update Parallels Tools, but it's always "unable to download installation package". I've looked around the Parallels site and there doesn't seem to be a separate installer posted.

Thanks for your comments. Does anyone have a comment about what the most stable version of Parallels 6 is, and is it posted anywhere? I'm wondering if maybe vmware is worth another look.

18. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

I have no clue as to what they meant by usb support for Lion because it didn't seem to change anything to the way I use Parallels. the update was a Parallels update not Apple and from what I read it was something needed to be changed once Lion came out.

I am running :

2011 Mac Air 124GB SSD memory, 4 GB ram
    Lion 10.7.2 - Build 11C74
    Parallels 6 - Build 6.0.12106 (Revision 692267; September 7, 2011)

It is both stable and efficient. I have no complaints right now. I think your problem is due to you using the latest Parallels which is designed for the latest Mac software but you're not running the latest Mac software. I used VMWare before Parallels and I think you might have the same problems with VMWare or any software if you choose to use a previous version.

I'd recommend upgrading to Lion and reinstalling Parallels from scratch. Like I said I've had my issues with Parallels before but it really wasn't them it was more the fact that I didn't know what I was doing and was new to both Mac and Parallels but now that I've done tons of research it's all working great.

19. djlsomesortofnickname

Thanks Carlos. I'm stuck on 10.6.8 for the present time. I have too many applications dependent upon Rossetta.

20. carlosrodzbotet

carlosrodzbotet Hunter

Yeah, Lion doesn't support Rosetta so no more support for PowerPC applications from now on.