Mountain Lion Developer Preview as Guest OS

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Parallels User, Feb 16, 2012.

1. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

2. AlexMBento

AlexMBento Bit poster

If you are trying install OS X ML inside VM, then you only re-install it on the VM it self. The main volume could have the same name... macintosh hd.

3. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

4. Killerbob

Killerbob Member

Hi,

Maybe I am a bit thick, but how do you get ML to install in PD7? I can get a Lion install going, but how to get a ML install going, I can't figure out?

Any pointers, please...

Thanks in advance,

Bo

5. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

6. Killerbob

Killerbob Member

Hi,

I just got it too. I didn't think of selecting "Install Windows from DVD or Image file"..... Once I tried it, it of course gave me the option to select any OS and any Image file.

Got it going.

Thanks,

Bo

7. cuestakid8814

cuestakid8814 Bit poster

i actually had to un JB my ATV to at least get it to show up but when it did I got the following message

"this airplay device is not compatible with this software"

if someone else can find a way to get it to work please share-the airplay feature alone is worth the price of admission to Mountain Lion

8. Nosix

Nosix Member

The release notes for the ML Beta states that airplay mirroring will not work with the current version of ATV software. There doesn't seem to be a beta version of ATV software available for download yet.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  9. Nosix

Nosix Member

VMs setting for ML Preview

I was able to get the ML preview installation to complete from the InstallESD image by configuring the VM for 2 cores and 4Gb of ram. There was no problem with the parallel tools installation after I manually ejected the InstallESD image.

The VM still has the default 32Mb for display memory, but it seems of run OK in full screen mode on my Mid-2011 27" iMac. Should I increase the display memory setting to more closely emulate the type of display memory Mountain Lion might expect?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  10. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

No need to increase Video RAM, as there is no GPU acceleration support in Parallels Tools inside ML. I hope Parallels supports GPU accel. in ML soon, Launchpad is almost unusable without GPU support.

11. AlexMBento

AlexMBento Bit poster

I have airplay option on menu Bar inside the ML and my ATV2 have the latest version of OS. When I Try to select ATV2 from airplay inside ML installed with PD7, this option is not present on airplay menu.

someone has the same problem?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  12. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Most likely due to the fact that you're using Shared network which makes ML be on a subnetwork unable to see devices outside its network, change to Bridge network.

13. IMPieIMPie

IMPieIMPie Bit poster

I am noob?

Hi guys, I am trying to install ML on PD7. I have the .dmg file with the installer inside. Could someone tell me the precise steps? I tried a couple of ways but it doesn't seem to work. The image is working because I already instelled it in dual boot. Thanks so much!

14. 87racer

87racer Member

1. Right click Install OS X Mountain Lion Preview 1.app and click show contents.
    2. Navigate to Contents -> SharedSupport
    3. Mount the InstallESD.dmg as a cd drive. (See screenshot)
    4. Start it up and install Mountain Lion.

Attached Files:

15. IMPieIMPie

IMPieIMPie Bit poster

Great! You're the man.
    What if I wanted to share ML with PD7 and the dual boot? Is that possible to install a VM from a already installed OS, so you can use the same OS in both ways? Would be useful to have same user, files, software... I used to do it with Win7 and VMFusion3, I guess it has to be possible with ML and PD7 too! Thank you for the reply!

16. 87racer

87racer Member

Interesting idea if I'm understanding correctly. You want to use PD7 to boot a native install that you can also get to by booting holding option, right? We can do that with Windows 7 and bootcamp and an OS X install has no hardware lock to I don't see why not. I'll give it a try right now and post back.

UPDATE: Short answer, no. When using a physical disk Parallels ignores HFS+ partitions and only looks for Windows partitions. If Parallels, in Parallels Desktop 8, gives us the ability to specify a specific partition on a physical disk this would theoretically work. In Parallels Desktop 7 it is not possible.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  17. IMPieIMPie

IMPieIMPie Bit poster

UPDATE: Short answer, no. When using a physical disk Parallels ignores HFS+ partitions and only looks for Windows partitions. If Parallels, in Parallels Desktop 8, gives us the ability to specify a specific partition on a physical disk this would theoretically work. In Parallels Desktop 7 it is not possible.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for help!!
    That's bad. Is it somehow possible to install ML on a FAT32 partition? I'm sure it's impossible with NTFS 'cause it's not natively supported by Mac OS X (or at least it wasn't in 10.6). That would do it, right? PD7 would recognize it.
    Anyway, is it out of question to ask how to do it with VMWare Fusion 4?

18. 87racer

87racer Member

Thanks for help!!
    That's bad. Is it somehow possible to install ML on a FAT32 partition? I'm sure it's impossible with NTFS 'cause it's not natively supported by Mac OS X (or at least it wasn't in 10.6). That would do it, right? PD7 would recognize it.
    Anyway, is it out of question to ask how to do it with VMWare Fusion 4?[/QUOTE]

FAT32 is definitely a no. FAT32 posses a 4GB file size limitation making sleep with 4GB+ ram impossible and more importantly FAT32 has no implementation of permissions or attributes also making it impossible.

As for VMWare I am unfamiliar with their software but will look into and send you a pm with more info as it may not be appropriate here.

19. IMPieIMPie

IMPieIMPie Bit poster

Great! You're the best! Thanks again!

20. Jigs Gaton

Jigs Gaton Product Expert

Hi there, once you do that, can the new ML install (.pvm) be on an external drive... just like a windows .pvm? Cheers!